Thursday, February 20, 2014

It's going to be wonderful

I'm finding it difficult to tear myself away from my computer today.  I keep going to the eagle nest in Decorah, Iowa.  You see, mom is about ready to start laying eggs.  Last night the folks who are in charge of looking after the nest let us know mom was on the nest during the night and in years past when she did this, the first night she also laid her first egg.

Needless to say, last night I was glued to my computer monitor.  Seriously, I watched, and watched and watched.  Most of the time she preened, rested or napped.  Still I was mesmerized.  I wanted to be there to watch this marvelous event hoping against hope I would be lucky enough to be on-line when that first egg made its appearance.

However, I was also exhausted, I've had a week of long hour days.  I've been working diligently making merchandise for my store and have approximately 60 items to move from 'in progress' to my departments for sale.  In addition, there's been Bible study and research, taxes to prepare and day to day stuff that needs be done.  So, by 9:30 last night I had to throw in the towel and admit I could no longer keep my eyes open.  Fact is, I was so tired I didn't even attempt to play my Lumosity games. 

First thing this morning I could hardly contain myself long enough to feed my lovable pets and make my coffee wanting so badly to check and see if I missed mom's
birthing.  Oh, she was on the nest alright, but she had not laid an egg.  I was dejected but delighted at the same time...maybe, just maybe I will catch a birth today. 

I think I now know how dads used to feel when they had to wait in a special room when moms gave birth in hospitals.  Yeah, they were there, but not involved.  I'm antsy, anxious, excited, still  I might be away from the waiting room when baby arrives.  I want to be at my computer.  Fact is, in all the years I've been watching the Decorah eagles, I've yet to be lucky enough to see a birth.  Maybe this year, I hope.

In the mean time, everything else in my life has gone to wrack and ruin.  I don't even care, I just want my little eagle family to begin their new cycle of life.  It's going to be an exciting fun filled couple of months. 

Come on mom...do that thing you do so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment