Saturday, February 1, 2014

My winter house guest

If you recall, yesterday as I finished my blog I mentioned Bobby was slowly meandering across my computer's desk.  He/she was moving at a slow pace, and looked good.  At least at that moment, I thought he/she did. 

Eventually it crawled across my printer, and down onto the typing table next to my computer desk.  Then something unusual happened.  It sat, and sat, and sat and sat.
I thought this was pretty odd and eventually leaned over and took a really good look at it.  It was listing to one side, as though it wanted to fall over on its back.  Then it kind of sat down, the way insects do, and like I do when I'm very, very tired.

Bobby made no attempt to crawl away, it either stood and leaned, or sat.

Finally, I said to no one in particular.  "I think Bobby's sick."

"Maybe he/she's hungry.  I've nothing to feed him/her."   Obviously Bobby had come from the sun room, the only room with plants, so apparently nothing in there was helpful.  "I don't know what to do."

So, Bobby continued to sit, and sit, and sit.  I continued to stare, and stare, and stare.

I was worried.

Quite some time later I gently lifted (between my thumb and forefinger) the Shield Bug from the table.  It didn't wiggle its legs the way a bug usually does when captured, but seemed resigned that perhaps he/she was about to be flattened like a pancake.

Such was not the case.  I had finally decided the only thing I could do was put Bobby outside.  Even though it is still winter, there are things starting to grow, and my thought was perhaps Bobby would be better off outside than in.  Still gently restraining him/her I walk to the sliding door, explaining in a soft and gentle voice, that I hoped I was doing the right thing, and although it was still winter, and cold that he/she would somehow survive until spring arrived.  With that I placed Bobby on some greenery and bade him/her farewell.

Over the course of the day I thought about looking for Bobby, but the thought I might find him/her belly up where I had left him would have caused me much grief.  This morning I don't quite remember exactly where I put him and I hope he crawled away and had him/herself a good healthy meal of watercress, grass, or juicy buds from my rose bushes.

God's speed, Bobby, God's speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment