Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Frankly, Miss Scarlett, "I didn't give a damn".

Normally when we have a snow storm I can't wait to grab my wonderful snow shovel and set to work.  This time, the shovel stayed in the garage through the whole ordeal.    On the first day the mailman did not appear felt I had no reason to go out...so I didn't.

Now I know my husband was not pleased with me over my decision.  He worked his whole life in the insurance business and realized early on that people are 'sue happy' and worried constantly that we might someday be sued for libel, so worked diligently to keep our place as safe as possible not just for ourselves but others, mostly others.  As a result, as soon as flakes began to fall it was my job to make sure there was always a clear, safe, un-snowed path from our curb to the front door.

Oh, don't be upset, I love shoveling snow, and hubby bought me the most wonderful lightweight snow shovel ever.  It worked like a snow plow, and I could clear a path in 'lickity brindle' time.  The dogs always loved these snow excursions, too. 

This time, well...frankly, Rett Butler and I 'didn't give a damn'.  I simply let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.  I stood or sat by the bay window and watched the stuff pile up.  It was beautiful.  Until it got so deep my puppy could no longer wade through it to 'do his duty'.  I did then clear the tiny patio off my sliding door as a convenience for him.  He was happy, so was I.

Then, we waited, and waited, and waited for the flakes to stop falling.  Days later they did.  By then over ten inches blanketed my property.  I was so glad I didn't shovel, because if I had, along that path the snow would have stacked up to 20 inches.  Do you have any idea how long it would take for 20 inches of snow to melt?  Let me tell you, it is a l-o-o-o--g time.  It gets ugly, grey, black with hints of yellow here and there...if you get my drift.

So, this morning most of the snow is gone.  There's a bit here and there where the wind gusts formed drifts, but it melted evenly for the most part, and my walks, driveway and most of the lawn are back to normal.  However, looking around my neighborhood I do see piles of icky snow from left-over snow men, and clumps where people had finally dug their vehicles out. 

Let me just say I'm so glad I didn't shovel....sorry honey, I just didn't give a damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment