Sunday, February 16, 2014

To too two, be bee, or oar, not knot, to too two, be bee

As I come into the office this morning, Frankie is sitting in my chair.  She's swiveled it around and has her nose buried in our "Big Book".  I'm perplexed.  Usually I'm the one who has to look things up.

Me:  (In a sing-song tone.) "So, what's ya doin?"
Frankie:  (Not even bothering to look up.)  "Just checking something out."

How odd!  My curiosity has peaked, I walk toward Frankie and the book.  At first she tries to flip some of the pages, but I  manage to put my hand on the upper left hand corner of the book so she can't.

I see she is in the C's, the first word on page 266 is canvasback the last on page 267 is capital allowance.  What the heck???

"Okay, Frankie."  "What in the world are you looking at?"

She sighs, and slumps back into the chair and gives me a sheepish look.

"You made a mistake in your blog yesterday...I corrected it last night, but then thought maybe I made a mistake, so I'm checking out the word to see who's really right me or you."

Now I'm really curious..."...and just what word might that have been?"  I'm not angry, upset or anything, but can't imagine what word she's talking about.

She uses her heels and rolls the chair back up to the dictionary, and points.  Her finger falls on the word 'capital'.

I'm quite surprised, and openly confess when I typed that word yesterday I meant to look it up myself, but being the dither head I am I forgot.  Oh, I 'spell checked' the word alright, but never did look it up.

Here's what Frankie and I learned this morning.

cap·i·tal1 [kap-i-tl]   

noun

the city or town that is the official seat of government in a country, state, etc.: Tokyo is the capital of Japan.

adjective

chief, especially as being the official seat of government of a country, state, etc.: the capital city of France.

excellent or first-rate: a capital hotel; a capital fellow.

Cap·i·tol [kap-i-tl]

noun

the building in Washington, D.C., used by the Congress of the U.S. for its sessions.
( often lowercase ) a building occupied by a state legislature.

Well, son of a gun...I did use the wrong word.  Thanks, Frankie.

Me:  "I'm curious, Frankie, how is it you caught my error?"
Frankie:  "I remember in school the difference between them was hard for me to remember.  Especially when it came to capital or capitol letters.  Somebody made the English language so dang difficult.  Lay, lie...you, your, you're...bear, bare.  Oh, I could go on and on."

I have to confess Frankie has a good point.  I think for the most part, I know, no which, witch word to use and when to use them.  However, there will always be those words I should, I need to look up before embarrassing myself as my blog wings across the world. 

Thanks, Frankie you saved my but, butt.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment