Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bridges over troubled waters.

It's just another wild and whacky winter here in the Pacific Northwest.  Last weekend it was snow, this weekend it's rain....and, wind.  Already creeks are on the rise, and there are some areas along the banks of the Willamette River that have reached flood stages, especially down around the state capital, Salem.

Hunker down folks, and grab something that floats.

When we first moved here, back in the early '70's, we knew there was a creek in our back yard and we were good with that, the sound of flowing water was relaxing and serene and added to the charm of the neighborhood.  There were frogs, and quail, and beautiful shimmering dragon flies.  We loved it. 

Before we learned about the marsh that had been filled in so that our house could be built we had our first flood.  The water rose up as high as the top of our front stoop step.  The kids were in a frenzy, I tried to stay calm, all the while I'm wondering what the heck I should be doing.  I admit I was scared. 

First thing I did was call my husband.  It was almost time for his commute home, and I wanted him to know he might have to park in the school parking lot, and walk home from there.  Then I began to ponder if I should walk with the kids over to the school myself.

Then, as quickly as the water had risen, it slowly began to recede.  Boy, was I a happy camper. 

However, I began to wonder about the creek.  Was flooding something I was going to have to worry about every time we had a super-duper rainfall?  At the time we were only renters, and the creek was not on our property and we didn't quite know what to do.

So began my first PRIVATE WORKS project.  I cleared the blackberry brambles, fallen branches and debris from the back wall of the house to the creek.  That way, and for the first time I could see what I was dealing with.  Between my husband and I we were able to keep, our section of the creek clear and open.

We eventually bought the house.  A couple of years later we bought the land behind ours.  And that began my second PRIVATE WORKS project.  It took a whole summer, but I dragged brambles out of trees that were fifty plus feet high, sawed branches, saved native plants and marveled at the tiny red salamanders I found hiding under decaying branches.  It was hard, tedious, sweaty, wound causing, skin breaking work.

But, once the land was clear, and the creek running through it was 'kind of' ours, Hubby deepened and widened it.  We were bound and determined that if the water rose it would not be because we had neglected our duty to keep the waters flowing freely.

For as long as we owned the property the waters would rise as high as the banks, but thankfully it never over flowed again.  I eventually sold that property, and once more the creek was unattended, it became overgrown with brambles and ivy.  It was a mess, but since it was no longer my responsibility all I could do was worry.  Should I buy some sand, make some permanent sandbags I could drag around if I needed them?

Last year, the local 'powers that be' made the owners of the property 'clear the ivy' from the property, turns out English Ivy is not a native plant.   At least the creek is open again and running free.  What a relief.

Do I worry that we will have flooding?  Sure.  When you live this close to a natural waterway, that is always an option.  But does it scare me away?  No.  Whatever will be will be. 

Then again...it is going to rain, and rain, and rain.  Where the heck did I leave my waders?

No comments:

Post a Comment