Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Oh, it's a long, long time.

We had some snow flurries today...some as we were coming out of the store after shopping, and some after I arrived home and was putting my  groceries away.  Believe me they were brief.  Less than a minute or so.  I was hoping the groundhog and local hedgehog would not see their shadows, and spring would arrive with robins, daffodils and pretty, delicate purple crocus.

Guess that's not going to happen...at least for six weeks.  (Insert sighing here.)

I heard the low temperatures are going to plunge back into the teens.  I wish now I had not put Bobby outside.  I actually looked for my Shield Bug yesterday.  Of course that was wasted time.  I've no idea where the poor thing might be.  I just hope it somehow survives the teen temperatures we are supposed to get over the next several days.

Oh, and the East Wind is supposed to be blustering as well.  Dang it. 

On the up side I'm pleased to report it is staying light longer as the days go by.  I've noticed it is still quite light after 5:30 now.  Go slowly, please because I want to enjoy this process leading up to the longest daylight day of the year come June. 

All I really want at the moment is some warm.  I want that day to come that I can open my sliding door, and sit in the door frame and drink my morning coffee.  I don't care if I have to wear an extra sweater, I just want that day to come. 

Well, maybe I want the robins back, too.  This morning there were almost a dozen starlings in my front yard looking for grubs.  It's the first time since October they've been around.  I guess you could say my latest passion is looking for signs that winter is on its way out.  It seems sooo much longer from September to April, than April to November. 

I guess I'd like to see the forsythias, marsh marigolds and willows bloom, too.  But, mostly I want to be warm, deep down to my bones warm.  The sun is trying hard, it the darn off the Pacific Artic cold, and dang out of the gorge East Wind that's screwing things up.  Get out of here...both of you...now...right now.  As you can tell, this time of year patience is not one of my better virtues. 

So, I've resorted to counting the days...43 of them to be exact...COME ON SPRING.





No comments:

Post a Comment