Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Summer 'time'

con·tem·plate
[kon-tuhm-pleyt,]  
1.
to look at or view with continued attention; observe or study thoughtfully: to contemplate the stars.
2.
to consider thoroughly; think fully or deeply about.
3. 
to think studiously; meditate; consider deliberately.
 
This morning I've been contemplating the end of summer.  Where did it go?  Why didn't I accomplish very much?  How did I allow the days to slip by with little notice?
 
Is it possible I've been going through summer in a dream-like state?  Sure, I rise every morning, and do stuff, and often toddle off to bed in a near state of exhaustion.  But, doing what?
 
If I had to account for my summer 'time' to a great timekeeper, could I honorably justify how I spent it?
 
Well, Mr/Ms Timekeeper, what do you think?
 
I've spent hours and hours in the yard upgrading gardens, planting, trimming and 
weeding. 
 
I painted two park benches and three resin chairs.
 
I watered, watered, watered, and I can prove that, because my last water bill was over two hundred dollars.
 
I worked just about everyday, including Saturdays and Sundays, making merchandise for my Zazzle store.  There are over two hundred items there now.
 
I've been blogging and exercising my grey matter with Lumosity.
 
I have seen a chicken coop go up in the yard behind mine.  I watched chickens arrive. There's Penny, Peaches, Maybell, Millie and of course Florence.  Yes, Mr/Ms Timekeeper I know, I know, I've spent way more time watching them than I should have but, it's been a very learning experience, plus, I find them charming.  They may be, as some people think, dumb as stumps...but they are also great escape artists, especially Florence.  
 
I've entertained, been entertained, crocheted, designed merchandise, and hunted down and destroyed ant colonies that have invaded my kitchen, garage, morning room, and patio. (I hope we have a very, very cold winter that will kill off these insidious creatures.)
 
Some of my summer days seemed not to have enough hours, while others kind of dragged on, still...somehow, the days drifted into weeks and the weeks into months.  Now, Labor Day is only hours away...well a couple of days really, but it does somehow represent the end of summer. Where did it go? 
 
I guess looking back, Mr/Ms Timekeeper, I've at least spent some of summer's 'time' wisely.  Although it would be nice to slow 'time' down...I think I'm going to spend the rest of today contemplating how I might be able to do that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment