Thursday, August 29, 2013

Honesty...

...is good for the soul.

Get ready!!!!!

Here it comes!!!!

I do not like most fresh fruits and vegetables...I seldom eat fresh fruits and
vegetables.  It is safe to say I will avoid them as much as possible.

Generally speaking, I don't like most canned fruits and vegetables either. 

If you could see the shelves of my pantry you would be appalled. 

First you will find the fruits and vegetables separated, fruits first, vegetables second, canned meats last.

Then everything is in alphabetical order, and in order by expiration date, too. 

I know, I know, that's just sick!!!!!!!

I used to have all kinds of canned fruits, till they got too expensive to buy.  Now you will find pineapple and occasionally a few cans of apple sauce on my shelf.  That's it.

In the vegetable department you will find beans, lots and lots of beans, all kinds.  Corn, not creamed, that's gross, really, really gross.  Soups, mostly the kind to be used as an ingredient in something else, like gravy, and finally tomatoes.  Oh yes, tomatoes, Diced, sliced, stewed, Italian, Mexican.  I do love my tomatoes...maybe because it's a fruit...vegetable....fruit....vegetable. 

Lastly there are condiments, and meats.  Chicken and tuna mostly.  But, occasionally you will find a jar of Dried Beef and a couple of cans of Spam and sardines there, too.

However, the point is, mostly these canned goods just sit there, sit there, sit there.  Once in a while I will take a day and cook, it's a frenzy of casseroles mostly that I can split up into individual containers and freeze for a later date.  Those containers then sit there, sit there, sit there in my freezer.

Almost every day I pull open the doors of my pantry and look inside thinking something will 'jump out at me'.  Surely something will tickle my fancy. I take
a good look around and close the doors.

All the stuff in there requires work. 

So, I trek to the refrigerator.  There's got to be good stuff in there.  Yep, there is a half head of wilted lettuce, a wrinkled zucchini squash, an onion growing a beautiful furry mold, and a tomato with no juice left, just skin, meat, and seeds.  So much for wanting a sandwich. 

Now, I bet you are thinking I am nothing but skin and bone.  Guess again.  I'm a robust xxx pounds, and that's cause I'm a meat and potatoes kind of gal.

You got it.  I do loves me potatoes.  Raw, sprinkled with salt (not the skin cause my mom told me they were poisonous), baked, mashed, french fried, country cut, southern cut, shredded, and tots.  I have never met a potato I didn't like.  I will drown them in butter, margarine, sour cream, horseradish sauce, salt, pepper, cheese and ketchup.  I will mix them with onion, corn and okra.  They are the most versatile vegetable ever.  And...they...taste...so...dang...good. 

Back to fruits.  Generally I don't even buy them.  I can tolerate blueberries (I guess you could say they are my favorite), strawberries and pears.  I will eat an occasional apple and once in a while I'll buy four or five bananas.  I used to buy grapes till they got so out of my price range, I don't even visit them in the produce department anymore. 

However, I do like pineapple.  Rings, chunks and tidbits.  I'll eat pineapple right out of the can and drink the juice, too.  As for other fruits...no thanks.

Finally, on the other hand, and totally out of character for me, I enjoy a good fruit cake.  One loaded with candied cherries, candied pineapple, lots of raisins, citron and walnuts.  Go figure.  Come on, Christmas!

Anyway, now that I've bared my soul, I'm going to go to my kitchen and fry up some potatoes, okra and onions, then smother the whole shebang in some golden, sharp, cheddar cheese.  Yummm.

No comments:

Post a Comment