Sunday, August 25, 2013

Yellow, blue, orange, green, red

and PURPLE.

My daughter went to her class reunion yesterday afternoon.  Some of the grand kids wanted to visit grandma while she was socializing. 

It's never difficult to entertain the kids, because they are always up for anything.  And, since they are so diverse in age, anything goes.

We started with Candy Land, the famous Milton Bradley Game.  We are all familiar with this game, where you have to get your little cardboard cutout to Candy Land before everybody else, although you have to maneuver through some pitfalls along the way.

My granddaughter said the game is 'stressful'...I agree.  Nobody likes getting within ten squares of the finish line only to get one of the cards that will send you careening back to Plum Forest, that is only inches from the start line.

That's why, I decided to stack the odds in my favor.  While playing the game for the second time, I took one of the purple cards (the color of the last square to enter Candy Land and win the game) and sat on it.  I was sooo pleased and tickled with myself.  I was going to win for sure this time.

Talk about stress.  We were all advancing along to the finish line.  My little secret stash burning into the back of my leg.  Boy oh, boy, I had this game in the bag.  Then, the inevitable happened.  I got a card that sent me back to Peanut Brittle land.  Shoot!  Poop!  Dag nab it!  Son of a Sea Cook!

Lot of good my stolen lot did me.  So, I decided to keep my thievery to myself.  However, I decided to confide in my youngest granddaughter and swore her to
secrecy.  She was tickled we could share a secret.

We moved on to other activities.  The youngest took my bucket of chalk, and drew a "Magic land" from my front door to the end of my drive way, while some of us played Cash Cab, or watched TV...it is 'preseason' football after all.

Anyway, Cash Cab was the next game up, and just to prove that cheaters really do lose, I did, again.

After my daughter returned from her reunion, we made a run to the Sub Shop and we all chose humongous sandwiches for dinner.  Good stuff, good stuff.

Oh course, the time for my family to leave rapidly approached.  A sad time, I hate when my visitors have to go. 

Now, here's the thing.  And I don't know if all grandmother's are like this or not, but there are times I cannot contain myself, and love to shock my grand kids for no good reason at all.  Which is why, just before they left I 'spilled the beans' about cheating at Candy Land.

I wish you could have seen the looks on the faces of my daughter and
granddaughter.  They gasped.  They were appalled.  They screamed at me. 
They could not believe I would do such a thing.......

Well, of course I would...in a heart beat.

I've been known to occasionally utter a swear word...you've no idea what THAT does to a grand kid.

It's such fun....

As everybody was going out the door, my granddaughter and I were discussing my cheating and my grandson overheard. 

"WHAT???"  He inquired, not quite sure what he had heard.  We filled him in.  As he's heading down the steps, I hear him say..."Good one Grandma...good one."

It was, wasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment