Thursday, August 1, 2013

Brrrrrring, brrrrrring, brrrrrring

I've noticed I'm getting a lot of calls again from solicitors, organizations, and people wanting me to complete a survey. 

What the heck?  I'm registered with the National No Call List, so how can this be happening?

I've been ignoring them, but some numbers (Zeeland MI, 800 Service) have become very, very insistent over the last several months so that I pick up the phone simply to request they take me off their list.  Yeah, like they are really going to do that.

Anyway, here's what I've discovered.

Sometimes when I pick up, there is no one on the line, the line goes dead, and I get the disconnect beeps.

Occasionally, when there is no one on the line, I say "hello", and like magic...I get a response.  These people talk fast, but as soon as I can get a word in I'm so angry I'm afraid I'm not very polite.  Even though I know this is somebodies job, that they don't even like, but have because they don't want to be on welfare, I cannot help but be testy with them.

There are times someone immediately starts to speak, and it takes some seconds for me to discover it is a recorded message, and I used to immediately hang up.  However, I've discovered that if you listen to the end you get a menu that will give you the option to be taken off the call list. I always take this option...but I know they never do, because the calls keep coming.  This is especially true with the calls I get from the Security Medical Alert people who promise me the system has already been paid for, all they need is my address so they can ship it to me.  Press 5 to be deleted from receiving calls from us.  (How many times must I press 5?)

But, the calls I hate the most...those dirty buggers...are the ones that go to my answering machine that I have to listen to...all the way to the end...before my company will allow me to delete them from my phone.  Grrrrr.

This last week I've gotten two calls from some company telling me they can reduce my credit card interest rate.  They try to scare me...this is their second notice...don't I realize they have my best interest at heart...they are the only ones capable of helping me.  Now, I know this is a scam, and I do not respond, and I really wish the National No Call List actually worked, unfortunately it does not.  But, I worry about folks older than I (and I'm no spring chicken any more) who can be intimidated enough to give these strangers their important information. 

But back to the Security/Medical Alert people.  Now, don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a medical alert system, I think about getting one for myself from time to time.  Maybe some day I will actually order one.  The point is I will order it from a well know company, that I have thoroughly researched.  I don't need some jerk's well rehearsed recording telling me what to do. 

In the meantime, I guess I have to put up with all these nuisance calls, because modern technology seems to be staying one step ahead of me...and that no good National No Call List.

Please choose from the following options:

Press 4 to re-read this blog
Press 5 to respond to this blog
Press 6 to delete this blog

This is a prerecorded message.

Good Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment