Friday, October 12, 2012

Chapter Eight Selling the House

Yes, this posting is going to be full of sour grapes.  What is it with Realtor's?  And, why must I capitalize that word?  Are they royalty or something?

I digress.

I am eager (although not as much as when I first started the process) to sell my home, and have been most accommodating, clearing clutter, having my family spruce up the outside of my place.  Thanks again everybody.  And, adding curb appeal to the tune of almost three hundred dollars.  When I get a call from a Realtor I jump through hoops for about 20 minutes putting remaining trinkets in drawers, dusting, opening drapes, etc, etc.  Only to have the Realtor and their client hurry through the house, and be gone in less than ten minutes.  All the while I'm waiting, waiting, waiting, for their arrival.  I've put my life on hold...strictly to accommodate them all of them.

Not long ago a Realtor called and said she and her clients would be here on a Sunday afternoon at 5:30  they did not appear until after six o'clock.  I'm waiting, waiting, waiting.  When they arrive she was full of excuses, for their tardiness.  I sit outside reading a book to give them time, and space.  They were gone almost before they arrived.  I was a little put out, believe me.

Then...yesterday morning...I get a call from another Realtor.  She wanted to bring a client by at 6:30.

I almost said yes that would be fine.  Hold on a minute...that's the time I'm generally preparing myself something to eat.  I surprised myself when I told her no, that was not acceptable, tomorrow between five and five-thirty would be good, but I could not accommodate her today.  Man, she was put-OUT, telling me her clients were going out of town right after work tomorrow, and they r-e-a-l-l-y wanted to see the house.

I held my own, and suggested any evening next week would work for me between five and five thirty.  All of a sudden, according to her, that would not work out for her clients.  I told her to please call back if her clients were indeed interested.  However, I bet I don't hear from her again.

I've decided I'm not going to accommodate any Realtor for showings after five-thirty.  I realize people work, and evenings are better for some of them, but, I'm an old lady and frankly I don't like strangers wandering around my house after dark especially with winter just around the corner.  I'm uncomfortable enough having folks poking through my closets during the day.

Honest, so far I've been open, pleasant, cheerful, and friendly, and excuse myself and my dog giving full access of my place to everyone who has come to check it out.  My Realtor said from the start, I'm in charge of this endeavor, and by golly, I finally put my foot down.  The world does not revolve around your commission Mr/Ms Realtor.  I do have some say in this, and I think wanting to come during dinner hours is...frankly...rude.

Wow, now that I think about it, maybe she was sooo sure, I would accommodate her, it was her feelings got hurt and not her clients at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment