Sunday, October 14, 2012

Special hours

You never when something special is going to happen in your life.  I can always count on 'special' when I know my grandson, Marcus is coming to visit.  We have such a great time.  He is funny, charming, smart, full of life, a hard worker, and tops all of that off by being one good looking dude to boot.

We chat for maybe ten minutes and he makes his first trip to my 'snack' cupboard, and comes back with food in his hand.  I always prepare lunch, and early into the visit we eat, chat, and yesterday we both had a beer.  Lovely-ness.

Next, we cleared the table and played games.  I chose Battleship, Marcus chose In A Pickle.  Neither of us had played Battleship in years...we're talking years...he won, of course.  I'm jinked when it comes to games.  It's a good thing I only play them for fun and not superiority.  I could not find his ships to save my soul.  It didn't help that he kind of indicated he has grouped his together...and I believed him.  I'm so dang gullible.

While we were playing Battleship a friend and neighbor stopped by bringing me tomatoes and figs.  And I was so proud I got to introduce her to him.  By the way, the figs were delicious.

Anyway, we moved on to In A Pickle.  It's a card game, and you build sentences, most of which turn out to be silly, especially when you get close to the end of the game, and everybody has really ridiculous cards left that will not fit in anywhere.  We had build quite a sentence, and I wanted those cards really badly because he was way ahead of me all through the game.  I finally had to admit I could not add a new word, and he took the sentence away.  Did he feel guilty he had deprived his grandmother of that pile of cards.  Yes, for about a mini-second.  He scooped up those cards with such speed he created a breeze.

We retreated to the living room, and chatted a while more.  I sensed the visit is about to end.  I try not to be sad.  It is always hard when you know something special is going to end.  I knew he needed a few minutes to 'set the clock' on my stove to go off (after) he left.  But, it was time for him to fill up a bag of goodies to take home, and we ended up back in the kitchen.  I had no reason to leave the room and as a result I had spoiled any attempt he might have had to set the timer.  He made a lame attempt, while I was watching, but since he was looking at the dials upside-down, he failed very badly.  The clock began to beep and would not stop.

Sadly, goody bag in tow he had to take his leave.  He said he was going to rent a movie and call it good for the day.

I still had the kitchen to clear, and the games to put away.  Then I settled down on the couch with my beloved creatures in a warm glow of the love that had filled my house all afternoon, it was a grand, my mind was  filled with delightful memories of laughs and love.

You never when something special is going to happen in your life. Thanks, Marcus.



No comments:

Post a Comment