Thursday, October 18, 2012

Garden paths

I delight in paths, especially garden paths.  There are two here I never tire of walking.

One is through the Japanese Garden, the other is through a Formal Chinese Garden smack, dab in downtown Portland.  They both can and will transport you away from our troubles, doubts, anxieties, and sorrows, if only for a little while.

The Japanese Garden is quite large, and is nestled up and tucked against a hillside; it has winding paths that take you past a coy pond, a sand garden, oriental buildings, and the most beautiful trees, shrubs and flowers you can imagine.  One building is designed to hold meetings, and frequently has displays from local artists, floral designers, and even has prints you can buy.  Although, they are always beyond my means, I would love to be able to purchase a few to hang on my walls here at home.

My favorite spot takes you down a winding, old path to an enclosed sand and stone garden.  Somehow it makes you want to talk in whispers.  There are benches, and my friends and I sometimes sit there, to relax a few minutes and chat.  And, it offers us time to refresh ourselves for the trek back up the hill.

Did you know the Japanese revere rocks?  Apparently they do not have an abundance of natural rocks there, so the ones they do are held in great esteem.  Hence you will often see them specifically placed in gardens so all to enjoy their beauty.

Time slows down in this garden, I have never, ever seen anyone rushing along the paths, there is simply so much to savor.  I'm always afraid I will miss something, a butterfly, a cherry blossom, perhaps a beautiful coy.  And, the changing seasons makes each path appear different, I guarantee they will take your breath away.

With each visit, I find I hate to leave.

But, as you are about to there is a tiny gift shop by the exit...oh the marvels.  I have bought post cards that show the garden how it looks during all four season, they are magnificent.  I have of course bought other trinkets, as well.  One is a leave from a collection called Peace Leaves.  They are paper leaves cut in the shape of actual tree leaves, with a brief message on them.  Mine is from Geraldine Helen Foote and it says
"Walk, paced to a heart's beat that beckons."

In this garden my heart beats slowly, as the serene paths encompasses me.

Next is the Classical Chinese Garden it covers an entire city block, and is enclosed on all sides by walls.  You have to microscopically explore the intricate detailing of every inch of this garden to really appreciate its mysterious beauty.  Every pebble, in the path were hand placed by Chinese artisans that came to America in order to make the garden as authentic as possible.  No joke...hand placed pebbles...seriously.   The path in this garden is continuous and winds around a large pond, with hundreds of breathtaking waterlilies floating on the top; serene,buildings in Chinese architecture line the perimeter of the path.  They are decorated with beautiful carved furniture in a dark wood, teak or mahogany, I think. And the furniture styles reflect different dynasties, each piece purposely chosen, and purposely set in its specific place to be admired for its intrinsic beauty.

For me, the center piece of the buildings is The Tower of Cosmic Reflections, or the Teahouse.  It is about halfway along the path from each direction you travel.  You must stop in for a rest.  You'll  find you have a choice of dozens of  unusual teas to drink, and unique tidbits to eat.  I always choose a different tea, that sometimes do unusual things to my taste buds, while the unique tidbits are always an interesting surprise.

There is a boat shaped building called Painted Boat in Misty Rain.  In it is a piece of furniture that reminds me of the old Dewey-Decimal chests you find in libraries.  Each drawer has a number.  There is a tube with rods in it with numbers that correspond to the numbers on the drawer. You shake the tube to shuffle the rods, then pull one out.  Whatever number is on the rod will match with a drawer with that number on it.  You retrieve a tiny slip of paper from that drawer, and receive a piece of advise to guide you through the day.

Please, don't rush through this magical place, in summer, dragon-flies are in great abundance, their iridescent bodies glimmer in the sun.  Walking slowly, you might be blessed to have one land on you, I think that alone makes a visit here special.

Of course, this garden has a gift shop and well, and if you are like me, that will be your final stop. This shop is as tiny as the one at the Japanese Garden and is filled with equally lovely trinkets.  Most are too expensive for me, but I always seem to find some kind of treasure to bring home for remembrance.

So, if you delight in paths like I do I will enchant you with a visit to these two gardens.  They are unique, and special, I guarantee I can transport you to China and Japan, without having to spend thousands on airfare and other traveling expenses to such far-flung places, and you won't have to worry about digestive problems from drastic changes in diet either.

Choose to walk a path today, go slowly, listen to the birds, and hear the whisper of winter creeping in on the breeze.





No comments:

Post a Comment