Wednesday, October 10, 2012

...starting a business.

Yes, after years and years of putt-zing around I've been working this year.  Literally, every morning I work from eight til noon at my itsy-bitty publishing company.

I've had the name copyrighted for years, and this year I registered the company with the state, and even went so far as to have the logo trademarked with the state as well.  (Eventually, I will trademark nationally...as soon as my company starts making money.)

Here's the funny part.

Apparently, the 'freedom of information act' is alive and well because for the last month I have been inundated with requests from banks wanting me to join them with offers of great deals on company checking accounts, low rated, small business, credit cards, blah, blah, blah.  Like I would change banks after being with the one I have since 1974.  Really...I don't think so.  My paper shredder has been busy, I'm surprised it does not blow up in fire and smoke.  I suspect these requests will eventually stop coming, but here's the thing.  These banks have excellent advertising companies representing them.  The mail I get is colorful, clean, and full of adjectives that their bank is more than happy, happy, happy to have me...THEN, I get to the fine print.  Such mumbo jumbo...it's like a foreign language, all the party of the first party, here by known as....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Give up people, I'm not the least bit interested.

Then...as you all know, I have my house on the market.  I'm hopeful someone will love my little place as much as I do, and will take over with loving care my little plot of land.  But, here again thanks to 'freedom of information act', my mailbox is starting to get crammed full of brochures from moving companies wanting to pack up my belongs and move me where ever it is I want to go.  They all tell me they will move me with loving care, as though my stuff was their own, and I have absolutely nothing to worry about.  A-N-D, they offer a deep discount to do the job.  Coupons tell me I will get $150 to $300 dollars off the bill.  Really?  I have to ask myself, what their estimate is going to be to be able to offer such a coupon.  Seriously, just last week I got an ad from Pods.  It was so glowing the paper felt warm.  Don't you think they are kind of jumping the gun a little?  Besides, I've seen the shows on the networks showing how people lose all their belongings when a moving company packs folks up and their belongings are never seen again.  I didn't just fall of the back of a turnip truck you know.

They don't seem to realize I've got oodles of grandson's who will be held hostage until they have me packed up and moved where ever it is I want to go.  A-N-D they will do it a heck of a lot cheaper than these wonderful moving companies.

I love going to my  mail box, sometimes it really makes my day, but I could sure do without all these ridiculous brochures and ads.  I'd much rather get my catalogs, they are way more fun.  It has been a most interesting year for my mail box and me, full of the unexpected and unusual.  Hmmm, I wonder what  kind of mail I would get if I said I wanted to build a bomb shelter in my back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment