Friday, October 26, 2012

Things they never tell you


I got to thinking this morning how CC my kitty, is the kind of creature that simply 'eats to live'...while Zorro is the kind of creature who's soul purpose is to 'live to eat'...he will devour anything, anytime, anywhere.


I spent most of my life in the gigantic green pasture of the 'lives to eat' side of the fence.  There was not a food I would not at least 'try' if given the opportunity.  I've had snails smothered in garlic butter, love liver and onions, and even sardines in mustard sauce.


It's not that I would not eat snails again, they were yummy, and I still eat liver and sardines...but something is different; now I 'eat to live'.  And, frankly, it's awful.


Used to be food looked colorful, inviting, savory, beautiful, and ooooh, the smells...spicy, sweet, musty, mysterious, sour...all exciting.  I enjoyed a new ethnic experience and never ordered from the "American" side of the menu.  My taste buds all a twitter before I even entered the door.


It was wonderful and I was never disappointed.


Then, I guess when I got about 65 I noticed the food still looked colorful, inviting, savory, beautiful, spicy, sweet, musty, mysterious, sour...but they no longer excited me.  Since that time, it has gotten worse, much worse...bummer.  Now, sadly, I've become a person that 'eats to live'.  Unfortunately, I tend to do it all day long.  I think I'm hungry and approach my cupboard with great anticipation, perhaps fill a cup half full of oyster crackers thinking their salty taste, and crunchy texture will somehow turn my taste buds on.  They don't.


So, how come, nobody ever tells you that your taste buds begin to diminish, (shudder) die.  Now, see...I can tell some of you are doubting me, so, since I love research I went on line and here is what I learned.  Take heed.


Q: Do your taste buds change as you get older? Why?



A: Like all the other cells in the body, those special sensory cells that make up the taste buds eventually wear out. As we age, the taste buds begin to disappear from the sides and roof of the mouth, leaving taste buds mostly on our tongue. The remaining taste buds eventually become less sensitive. Smoking and eating scalding liquids can damage them further. Our sense of smell also decreases as we get older, and smell and taste are intimately linked.
You should not ignore a decreased sense of taste. Diminished taste and smell can lead to decreased appetite and poor nutrition because eating may lose some of its appeal. To compensate, people may add extra salt or sugar to their food, which can lead to problems for those who have high blood pressure or diabetes 
And there you have it...in a nutshell.
Dang it, and just when my remaining taste buds are screaming for lobster and steak.  Guess I might as well get myself a cup of oyster crackers, apparently my taste buds won't know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment