Sunday, October 7, 2012

Normal

Normal, what bland, uninteresting word.  A person's normal temperature is 98.4.  As an adult it is normal  to get up early in the morning in order to get to work on time.  A teenager's immediate normal after school job is to complete homework for the next day's classes.

It is normal to sleep at night, and it is normal to be active during the day.  See what I mean...normal is boring, boring, boring.

Abnormal, is a whole different story.  And usually as negative connotations.  Abnormal people frequently do terrible things, especially to other people.  Trust me, I'm addicted to the Investigation Discovery channel, so I know many things about abnormal.

Then I got to thinking about me, is the normal me as boring as I think?  And, are my abnormalities simply weird and hopefully not negative, and/or destructive.

Oh dear, I feel giggles coming.

Boy, am I abnormal.  I have an imaginary friend, who not only lives with me, but talks to me, too. But, she is also the Yin to my Yang.  Thank goodness.

I like sardine sandwiches with onions, Spam, fried, baked, fresh out of the can, and don't particularly like fresh fruits and vegetable...but will eat them mostly because I know I should and that they are good for me.  I think in the scheme of things I am slightly abnormal in my eating choices.  When is the last time you had a sardine sandwich...with onions.

I'm blond, and we are supposed to be on the slightly stupid side, I'm not a genius of course, but I happen to like doing research, I like science, especially how things work, and nature, tiny, tiny objects of nature.  I'm not good at typing, generally an easy thing for most people, but can create a work of art out of cardboard, construction paper, some glue and a few 'sparklies'.  You have to admit for an old lady, these are generally things old ladies would choose not to do.  I know of none that look under a leaf to see what might be growing, or crawling there.  But many who will spend hours crocheting, knitting, watching TV, or reading a book.

I will pick up an earthworm squirming on a side walk and gently place it in the garden.  I've brought injured creatures into the house, including a seagull I found over at the school in the middle of the football field.  I placed it in one of my laundry baskets, and put the other on top of it so the gull could not escape.  It was a bitter cold day, and I didn't know if it had flown into a window and knocked itself silly, or if it was simply cold.

I put the baskets by the wood burning stove, and checked on it frequently.  Eventually it opened its eyes, and by three o'clock, it was becoming pretty active.  I put some heavy books on top of the overturned basket.  An hour later I could see it was starting to panic, so I wrapped a towel around it and returned to the school.

Its first attempt at flying didn't go well, so I re-captured it, and quietly talked to it for a while, and then released it again...off it went, high and wide.  Now, isn't that just a tad abnormal...bringing a sea gull into your home.

Then , there was the time I tried to incubate an abandoned kill deer egg between my boobs for a whole afternoon...only to discover late in the day there was a hole in the shell, which is why it had been abandoned in the first place.  I could have tried to incubate that thing for weeks had I not decided to give it a thorough inspection.  Admit it...that was abnormal...well, down right strange really.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.  I don't think I want to be normal.   There are many more adventures to be explored in what is left of my life, I like I have just a tad of abnormality flowing through my veins.

No comments:

Post a Comment