Monday, October 29, 2012

What can the matter be?


Don't you just hate waking up in the morning with song stuck in your head? That happened to me this morning.

A little ditty from my far off childhood was going round and around in my head.  The name of the song is "Oh, dear! What can the matter be?  Or, Johnny's so long at the fair."  Below you will see what's been cause me consternation this morning.

"Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Dear, dear! What can the matter be?
Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Johnny's so long at the fair."


Oh, dear!

Who is this Johnny? Why do I even care? And, even more why am I so concerned that he's late?

Let it go, Sandra, let it go!!!!

Of course I can't. So off to Google I go to do some research. I'm always amazed what I find. Turns out this little ditty started out as a nursery rhyme somewhere around 1780 in England. Soon after it made it's way to America, and somewhere along that way someone added music and we got the versions we have today...yes, there are at least three, and probably even more.

So, below you will find the words to Oh, dear! What can the matter be? Now we all know Johnny. Why we care, and even more why we are concerned.

"Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Dear, dear! What can the matter be?
Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Johnny's so long at the fair."

He promised to buy me a trinket to please me
And then for a smile, oh, he vowed he would tease me
He promised to buy me a bunch of blue ribbons
To tie up my bonnie brown hair.

Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Dear, dear! What can the matter be?
Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Johnny's so long at the fair.

He promised to bring me a basket of posies
A garland of lilies, a gift of red roses
A little straw hat to set off the blue ribbons
That tie up my bonnie brown hair.

Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
Johnny's so long at the fair.

God love Johnny, I hope he eventually got home, and that his sweetie was pleased with her gifts.
Did I brighten your day?  I know I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment