Monday, April 22, 2013

Dazzle, Razzle, Zazzle

As you may or may not know, last year I officially formed a company called Gues Who Original Publications although technically I've been puttzing around with publishing for a long, long, l-o-n-g time.

I wrote, designed the artwork, printed and published a children's book that I titled
"Bear's not so Grand Adventure."  It didn't make me rich by any means, but I love
the fact this was my premier product.

Next, I got a request to write a play.  Really?  Really.  With a very short time frame I actually did that.  Not only did I write a three act play, it was actually produced.  Oh, not on Broadway by any means.  But for a theatre group my sister and brother-in-law belonged to in their senior complex.  I called it "Class Reunion", it was about rekindling an old love...with a 'twist' at the end.  It was preformed over a mother's day weekend, three times, if memory serves, to full audiences...around three hundred people.  I was thrilled.

Then, I began to fool around with cards.  Making them for my own personal pleasure, mostly to give for birthdays but there is a splash of those that said 'Thinking of You', or 'Sympathy', too.  I have a box full of them.

Moving along, last year, encouraged by my daughter, I began to formulate a plan to become a full fledged company.  I have a copyright, trademark and became registered with the state.  With those things 'under my belt', my daughter and I decided it was time to jump to the Internet, I spent most of last year creating images, increasing card production and I even printed a catalog of cards available for purchase.  LOL...let's just say the cards did not leap out of my inventory...thank goodness I'm not in this endeavor for the cash...

Finally, I felt 'ready to launch' and January of this year I opened my store front on Zazzle, an Internet based company that allows me to use my images to produce all kinds of merchandise a person can buy for themselves, or to give as gifts.  So far I have 80+ items, ranging from cards, mugs, tee-shirts, clocks, jewelry, wall hangings, skateboards (for girls), totes, and on and on.  LOL...let's just say the merchandise is not leaping off my Internet store shelves...thank goodness I'm not in this endeavor for the cash... 

I did not write that last paragraph for all of you to dash to my store (although that would be nice) to buy all kinds of goodies.  I wrote it because I want everyone to know you are never, never, ever too old to launch yourself into life.  Do it today!  Whatever your passion, do not let another day go by without pleasing yourself first. Jump in, feet first, eyes closed.  The water will not be as deep as you think, nor as cold.  Have some kind of fun, whether you are in the sunrise or sunset of your life.  Make time for yourself to read all those books you meant to, learn to play the piano, or how to play Chess, something, anything that brings you joy.  Life is short.

As Nike says:  JUST DO IT

I did, trust me, take the leap, the water's fine, just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment