Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I can hardly believe...

we are a month away from the halfway month of the year.  Yep, 31 more days and it's going to be June.  The month with the longest daylight day of the year...and...then...day by day we slowly slide down to the shortest daylight day of the year. 

For as much as I don't like the longest daylight day, I do like and look forward to the shortest.  There's just some kind of excitement with the shortest one, because first I've made it through another year, and second because I know each day after that, the daylight starts minute by minute to become longer.  I suppose that sounds crazy, but to me that's an optimistic thing, where as losing daylight minute by minute is a rather depressing thing.  What can I say?

I like Daylight Savings Time.  I know, I know...it doesn't actually give me more DAYLIGHT TIME, but I sure like the illusion that it does.  If it were not for the fact I have to change my clocks twice a year that makings me think I'm gaining or losing daylight it is still the equinoxes that establish how many minutes of daylight and darkness I have every day of my life. 

I like that in June and July, it takes quite a long time for twilight to arrive each evening, and that when it does, it lasts for quite a while.  Some nights I can still see silhouetted trees after ten o'clock.  But, then, come August it is obvious it is getting dark sooner...ugh.

By Halloween I can feel the excitement inside me growing, we are back on Standard Time, twilight comes early, and due to frequent inclement weather, it does not last long.  Hurry, hurry November...quickly, quickly speed on by. 

Welcome December...dear friend,  I look forward to your holidays, but mostly I look forward to your shortest daylight day of the year when we start the trek back to the longest daylight day of the year.  That dreaded, awful, longest daylight day of the year.  Ugh!

1 comment:

  1. Since I found you searching for Pinky Marie, I have curiously read some of your blogs. Your writing has a nice and interesting flow. This one I particularly like and relate to. I also love the long summer days and have for years looked forward to Dec. 21 when they would once again start that cycle of getting longer. Oh, the wisdom and grace of our God to give us something to look forward to on those dark wintery days.

    ReplyDelete