Sunday, April 7, 2013

Stitch and sew

Well, it's down to the wire...the wedding is next Friday evening. 

For weeks I've been staring at the 'Turkey Suit' hanging in my closet.  Sometimes I  got it out and tried different colored blouses with it, and different accessories as well.  In the end, it simply went back into the closet.

Yesterday I drug the suit out and tried to decide exactly how I might be able to salvage it to be presentable.  I took the shoulder pads out almost as soon as it arrived.  I hated the tacky jacket button, and removed that, too.  Since the button was only decorative to begin with, I discovered I didn't need to replace it, the inside snap works great. 

When I went shopping on Tuesday I purchased a spool of beige thread just to make sure I had enough to do all the necessary alterations...Today, man, I was a buzz, and ready for action.  I began with the sleeves, and turned them under a good three inches, and carefully, very c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y measured each sleeve.  (Heaven forbid I should make one shorter than the other).  The scary part was cutting off the excess material...what if I need it back??????

Once I was happy with the snip-snipping, and the pin-pinning, I began the hand-hand sewing.  It has been a long, long time since I did any hand stitching, and I was not happy with the crude results, so three times, I un-stitched the first sleeve (thank goodness I had the foresight to buy a new spool of thread).  I guess sewing is sort of like learning to ride a bike, you don't forget, you just have to practice to get the skill back.  It took most of the afternoon, but, the sleeves were finally done.

Boy, was I a pooped puppy?  You better believe.

Should I tackle shortening the skirt? 

I had nothing better to do.  Why not?

I throw on the skirt and give an eyeball as to how much I think I'm going to have to turn up the skirt.  Ignoring the fact I looked like a turkey, I gave definite, sincere, serious concern to where the new hemline should be.  I then, put in some pins, and returned to the mirror.  The new line hit exactly at the middle of my knee, right at the bend.  Good choice.

Again, I was troubled, I had to whack off several inches of fabric...once gone, I cannot 'undo' the cut.  Bravely, and very, very carefully, I measured, folded fabric and pinned.  Over and over until I had circled the skirt.  I went back to the mirror.  Hey...not bad...my legs no longer looked like drum-sticks but actual human legs.  Whooo, hooo.

By now it was dark out, I'd not eaten, and I was exhausted.  Eating was a far more important project than sewing...so I carefully folded the skirt, gathered my sewing supplies, and put them all on the footstool next to the sofa.  I can't tell you what I ate, but after, I can tell you I contemplated finishing the skirt.

Frankie, who had been a silent observer all afternoon gave me a raised eyebrow, and stern expression.  "Don't even think about it.  You are waaay to tired to sew that skirt tonight.?"

For a few minutes I contemplated her input.  I knew she was right.  I'm already cranky.  On the other hand, I can hear my mother..."You should never sew on Sunday, because when you get to heaven you will have to take out all those stitches with your nose."

Well, I do have several days left to finish this job, oh what the heck, I know I'm going to sew on Sunday...taking stitches out with my nose...how hard can that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment