Thursday, April 18, 2013

Learning

I hated school, grade school, junior high school (yes I'm that old), high school.  I didn't really learn much of anything...in one ear...out the other.  The only class I truly liked was Home Economics, and I took it for three years.  I learned sewing, cooking, housekeeping, entertaining, and even helped with the washing of the football team's uniforms as part of learning laundry.  The class was small, and we formed a pretty tight knit group.  Fun times, fun times.

It was not until I reached my sixties I discovered the joy of learning starting with a two year course in writing for children through the Institute of Children's Literature, which was followed by some day long Saturday writing seminars at the local community college.  After that I discovered on-line learning and through PCC and Auburn University I have so far taken 13 classes related to writing, law, and of all things, beginning French.

I have nowhere learned enough and will take any opportunity for research.  Any kind of research.  If I don't know 'something' I will spend hours investigating until all my questions are answered.  Subject matter does not...well...matter.

So it was yesterday The subject of 'The Pledge of Allegiance' came up.  The words, "under God" in particular.  The friend with whom I was having this discussion said those words were in The Pledge from the beginning, while I seemed to recall they were added later, I thought while I was still in school.  For a few minutes we thought we were both right...but since my friend knows I will not let a question 'hang in the air' I said I would do some research on the matter.

So, folks, here is your history lesson for today.

The Pledge of Allegiance was written in August 1892, authored by minister Francis Bellamy (1855-1931) and was originally published in 1892 in something called The Youth's Companion. 

In it's original form it read as follows:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. 

Then in 1923, it was revised to include additional words to read:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, on nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. 

This rendition is how I said it every morning in school, before classes began. We all stood at attention, facing the flag...every room had one...reciting the words, hands over our hearts.  I never tired of doing that.

Finally, in 1954, the words 'under God' were added, I was a junior in high school.
Apparently President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add these two words,  according to my research, the daughter of the author of the original version
objected to the inclusion of these words.  However, today The Pledge reads as follows:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

So, there you have it, the history of The Pledge of Allegiance. 

Oh, if you will allow me a few more words.  Francis Bellamy also described how The Pledge was to be presented.  According to my research, it began by standing at attention, with a military salute, and after the words 'to the flag' were said, the arm was extended forward, toward the flag, palm up, until The Pledge was completed.  However, shortly after, the presentation was changed to holding the hand over the heart, and extending the arm, palm down toward the flag, as those words were spoken and held here until the end of The Pledge. 

With the coming of World War II, it was felt the presentation too much resembled the Nazi salute, and was changed to how we present it today...standing at attention, right hand held over the heart until The Pledge is completed.

You are now excused.  Thank you for your time and patience. 

I love research.


No comments:

Post a Comment