Monday, April 8, 2013

Who and what does the job?

 
The picture below appeared on my Facebook home page this morning.  I have to say it delighted me.  

I think just about any old woman would agree she can't live without the above mentioned items.  However, I would add two more items I think are nice to have on hand for emergencies.  The first is '3 in 1 Oil', and the second is 'Vasoline Petroleum Jelly'.  They are reasonably cheap...well, at least they used to be, and are great for handling just about anything that squeaks. 
 
On the down side, 3 in 1 Oil, tends to be messy, but with it's new container, and long nozzle I find it easily works the jobs in those difficult  to reach places.  And while the petroleum jelly can eventually leave behind a greasy grey residue, it does stop those hinges from squeaking.  On the up side, they are both perfect for 'small' jobs.
 
WD-40 on the other hand is great for big, big, jobs.  For instance, my garage door developed a squeak that could waken the dead.  No kidding, you could hear it going up half a block away.  The first time I heard it, I confess it terrified me...I almost jumped out of my skin.  At first I ran '3 in 1' along the track, it worked for a day or two, but soon the squeak was back, and seemed louder than ever.  Can you imagine, I even contemplated calling a repairman to come help?
 
This was before Frankie moved in.  I'm sure she would have had boundless comments, but useless advise.  But, at the moment,  I was on my own; so I yanked out my ladder, and set it in place halfway along the door's track, then I grabbed the WD-40, ascended the ladder and gave that track a good soaking end to end...not just once...but after waiting a while, I preformed the procedure again.
 
Then, I raised and lowered the door until the squeaking stopped.  Over the years my repair job has works pretty well...most of the time, except during the winter months when the temperature gets below freezing...then the squeak returns.  I've solved this problem simply by not opening the garage door during these months.
 
Now, on to duck tape....OMG...there has never been a better invention.  I use it for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.  Anchoring throw rugs to the floor.  Attaching a loose downspout to the gutter.  Holding stacked cardboard boxes together to make a cheap bookcase.  Seaming the cardboard panels together of my make-shift laundry room.  (I didn't know how easy is would be to paint over duck tape.)  It even seals off cracks in flower pots...making a waterproof seal.  I tell ya, it is truly amazing stuff.  Oh, and, I love now you can buy it in colors, and 12x12 inch decorative squares.  I've seen ads of women making artificial flowers from the stuff, and decorating old purses with a little pizazz.  It would not surprise me to one day find kiosks in malls selling nothing but decorative duck tape and booklets with decorating ideas.  I'd buy stuff, I swear I would.
 
Anyway, when the above picture appeared on Facebook this morning, I realized even with all the technological gadgetry, and engineering wonders some very smart, well educated men...and...women, have come up with.  It's us old women with a little tape, and a bit of lubrication that keep the world sticking together, and that keep it from squeaking, too.
 
 

 


 

 

1 comment:

  1. I think we should rule the world! We are the ones who come up with quick, easy and affective ways to take care of every problem.

    ReplyDelete