Saturday, April 27, 2013

I need...

coffee.

I feel a sharp prick just above my upper lip.  I open my eyes to see daylight trying to press itself through the thermal drapes, as CC is trying to bring me to full attention.

Dang, I hate that just because it gets light early my furry friends think I must get up.  I do, simply because they will  not allow me to do otherwise. 

The three of us venture to the kitchen and I feed the wild beasts that they are.

I take a mug from the cupboard, fill it with water and put it into the microwave.  While the water is heating I give Zorro his PB toy and dash to make my bed.

When I return to the kitchen I take my jars of instant coffee and creamer from my cabinet eagerly anticipating my first sip of the nectar of the gods.  My back is to the room.  I open the jar of coffee and gasp...there is barely enough coffee in the bottom for one mug full, two is out of the question.

Oh, no.  I quietly moan over and over while I try to scrape as much coffee off the bottom of the jar as I can.  I'm quite engrossed in my labor.

"What's up?"  The question came from a groggy, disheveled Frankie.

I almost jumped out of my skin.  I'm telling you it was one of those 'fight or flight' moments. 

Steaming mug in hand, I am racked with guilt.  I sheepishly turn to face my friend, knowing I have to explain there is no coffee left for her morning pick-me-up. 

I guess she could tell from the look on my face something was amiss.  It must have been one of surprise and guilt, like a kid being caught with their hand in a cookie jar.  I mumble a lame excuse about how I can't believe I allowed us to run out of such an important staple.  But, selfishly do not offer to share my bounty.

Frankie has a strange look on her face...It's calm...peaceful...accepting...I didn't know what the heck was coming next.  I expected an outburst of some sort.  She shakes her head, and walks toward the cabinet. 

Creak...squeak, the cabinet door opens.  I must remember to put some 3 in 1 on those hinges.

She reaches in and extracts a full, unopened jar of coffee.   (Where the heck did that come from?) There is a look of great satisfaction on her face. 

She walks by me, "Idiot!"



2 comments: