Sunday, March 30, 2014

Guess what day it is?

Okay, okay, today, I'm not confused, I know it is March 30th.  I know it's Sunday.  I know one of my grandsons is having a birthday today.  Happy birthday grandson.

Here's the thing.  This morning I was watching the news  (I don't know why I subject myself to that madness every day) and I saw a bunch of round, pink, cylinder things in a heap on my TV screen, and I says to myself "self, what are those?".  I knew I should recognize them, are they some kind of candy?  My interest was piqued and I began to listen to what the reporter was saying. 

He's explaining that in 1858 a man named Hymen Lipman designed the first pencil with an eraser on the top.  I'm fascinated.  I'm told Mr. Lipman even applied for and got a patent for his new invention, but that he eventually lost it because he had neither invented the eraser or the pencil.  However, by that time, folks were so enthralled with his 'invention' it became a staple in homes, offices, schools and...well...actually just about everywhere.  His spiel ended by telling me today is a special day to honor the humble pencil.

Yes, today is indeed National Pencil Day, and it is a well deserved honor.  For if it were not for this humble writing and correction making instrument, many a great novel, poem, play or sheet of music might never have been written.  So, today I hereby show my respect and heap compliments upon the Number Two Pencil.  Applause, applause.

In addition to being a top notch medium for writing, people have found various other uses for the pencil as well, all worthy for honor today.  It makes a good tap-pity, tap, tapper when keeping time to music.  It's a good chew toy when contemplating the 'meaning of life'.  It can be a head-scratcher, a frustration 'snapper', and sometimes even a book mark.  It should get an award for versatility.

Of course, on the down side, you always have to 'look for one' at the exact moment you need one, and when you do, the tip has surely been broken, or the eraser has been chewed off.  It either needs to be sharpened, or is so short it can no longer reach the grinding part of the sharpener.  (Remember when we had to sharpen a pencil by  'whittling' it with a pocket knife.)  Still, we cannot live with out it.  Way to go pencil.

But, while researching who 'invented' this simple yellow stick, I also learned today is quite a bit more.  Are you ready?

It's The Grass is Always Browner on the Other Side Day. (I wish.)
It's Doctor's Day.  (Should I have sent flowers?)
It's I Am in Control Day. (Baaa, haaa, haaa.)
A walk in the Park Day.  (As long as it's not raining.)
And, last but not least, it's Turkey Neck Soup Day.  (My soup was gone w-a-a-a-y back in January, if I had known, I'd have waited.)

There you have it folks, my dissertation has come to a close, "Happy National Pencil Day to all, and to all a good night."

No comments:

Post a Comment