Saturday, March 8, 2014

Hellllllooooooooooo!

So, here I am sitting a-top the steps in Times Square.  I don't even know what time it is.  Who cares what time it is when you are in Times Square.  Anyway, as I mentioned on Facebook a while back, the city is working on the north end of the Square, and there is a lot...I'm talking a lot of construction going on.  It is noisy, even in the wee small hours.  And, that's why I'm here, in the wee small hours, watching construction.

There are some cranes at work, and have been for weeks.  For the longest time I wondered what the heck they were up to.  Tonight it has become clear.  Although at the moment the cranes sit silent, below me, a bunch of guys are putting together what looks like a huge screen.  I mean this thing is huge.  It's a flat panel, and the way the metal strips bend, I think they must be made out of aluminum, one guy can lug a panel into position.  And, they are doing a 'hand off' kind of thing with them, like 'bucket brigades' of old time fire men. 

Maybe it's the cup of coffee I got at McDonalds across the street, or maybe it's the cold air, regardless, I finally get what's going on.  They are putting together new screens, making facades, for the buildings on west side of the street, once all the construction is done, advertisements will flash across them, 24-7, and they will help light up "the great white way".  Man, I hope I'm still here to watch those crane hoist those screens into place.  That is going to be some feat!  I wonder if they will do that during the day?  I kind of think they will, because I've yet to see the cranes operate at night.

It's cold here and I should probably toddle off to my hotel, but I'm transfixed.  Because not only is there construction to watch, there are still people roaming around.  Where are they from?  What are they doing here?  Where are they going?  Cabs and limos are still heading south along this famous "bow tie".  I'm sure the bars have closed by now, but maybe not.  Why are these people still up?  The Saturday evening theaters have long since close their doors for the evening, have they been to late dinner at one of the 'swank' restaurants around here?  Or, perhaps a charity event?  Maybe a private party?  Who knows, It's Friday night, the weekend lies ahead.  They can sleep in tomorrow morning.

However, in the meantime, I know why I'm here, I'm enjoying my own special "show".  Bundled up, hands wrapped around my coffee, I'm watching in wonder as one by one, those men dang those metal panels into place, forming a continuous flat surface,  I suspect in a day or two it will look like the one standing upright next to it.  Of course, they will have to add the girders first, that should be fun to watch.

New Yorkers takes all this in stride, they walk around the construction site, most oblivious to what's going on, they see this all the time.  But, not me.  Nope, I'm a construction junkie.  This is all amazing.  Day or night, hot or cold, rain, snow, sleet hail or sun, this place never disappoints. 

Having a ball.  That's it for now.

Hugs and kisses.

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment