Sunday, March 23, 2014

What the heck?

So, there I was in the morning twilight, making my way to the kitchen.  I don't even have my glasses on yet.  You know how it is, your creatures are hungry, and they want fed NOW.  I turn on the heat as I go. 

As I turn the corner and head for the kitchen I notice a brown 'thing' on my granite kitchen counter.  Suddenly time slows down and I have the opportunity to ask myself all sorts of questions.

What the heck is that?

Where did it come from?

How did it get there?

From a distance it looks like a slug.  Same size, same color.  Yes, I had worked in the yard, but as far as I knew I had not drug the slug in on my clothes, although perhaps, it had come in on my shoe and I simply didn't notice.  Oh, dag nab it.

Back to the questions.

What should I do?

Should I wrap it in a paper towel or tissue and squish it?

Should I go to the garage and get my trowel, scoop it up and take it back outside?

I find I've stopped dead in my tracks, as though this 'thing' would swallow me up like some kind of jungle cat.  Mostly I've stopped, because I hate slug slime, especially when it gets on any part of my body.  And, I certainly didn't want to excite it and have it secrete slime all the way across, my kitchen counter.

Carefully, quietly, I approach.  I decide I'll give it a gentle push with my index fingernail.  Maybe that will get it to 'shrink up', the way slugs and snails tend to do.

To my surprise, my nail simply slides across the counter.  There is nothing there at all except a brown streak that is a natural part of that particular granite tile.  Well, color me stupid. 

Time goes back to normal speed, but now I've another question.  I've had this granite counter top for several years now, how come I've never noticed that particular brown blob on it before?  Seriously!

In an attempt to save my ridiculous stupidity I've decided to come up with a lame excuse.

I didn't have my glasses on.  Are you going to buy that?

No comments:

Post a Comment