Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Scary things

Now I confess a lot of things scare me, for a brief second (like an unexplained loud noise I don't recognize), or sometimes a bit longer (like an electrical storm) and I suppose if I came across a Kodiak Bear along a wooded trail I would be frightened out of my wits.  Same for a lion or a tiger, oh,my!

However, I don't have a problem a lot of things, like needles, or blood, or even dentists.  But going to a doctor scares me briefly, because of the unknown elements involved.  For instance, is she going to find I have at terminal illness or deliver other unpleasant news.  My blood pressure soars.

Bumps in the night, are always unsettling, but are also brief, as are earthquakes, which I have to admit make me breathe more quickly and run for a doorway.  Here again, an earthquake is of short duration and when I realize my pets and I have survived and my house is still standing I quickly return to being normal.  Whatever the heck normal is.

However, there are things that scare me all the time.  Seriously, all I have to do is think about them, I get goose bumps, and the hair stands up at the nape of my neck. 
Take snakes for instance, (thanks, Eve) they are sneaky, slithery, bobby-wavy, things that are suddenly 'just there'.  And, when they are discovered, they don't honk a horn, or speak up loudly.  Noooo, rather, with great haste, they escape doing that wiggle, waggle movement, as though I am responsible for disturbing them.  How dare they? While they pay no mind that I've jumped out of my skin, and got several new grey hairs on the top of my head.

Truth be told, they not only scare me, I dislike them tremendously.  Again, I have to blame Eve.  If she had only behaved herself, women would probably be having babies totally pain free.  Think about that one, Ladies.

Then there are Praying Mantises.  Man, those creatures scare me out of my wits.  They are perhaps (to me) the most creepy looking creature around.  They move in s-l-o-w motion, and their bodies have weird joints so that when they use their front legs like human hands and arms I want to run into a closet and hide.  And, those 'bug-out" eyes, I've no words.  But when they cock their heads, I know those eyes are seeking me out...well, let's face it, if they were twenty feet tall, they would snap me like a twig, and eat every single bit of me and have no remorse, either.  They are
SC---AR---Y !!!! 

Yeah, yeah, I know snakes have a job to do and so do the Praying Mantises', well goody, goody for them.  I could live the whole, rest, of my life quite nicely if I never saw either of these creatures again.  Thankfully, the mantis is not a common sight here, and the snakes are becoming fewer and fewer as the neighborhood grows and the wooded areas have become smaller and smaller over time.  Still I know, they're out there...waiting, skulking, eager to shout Boooooooooo, as I turn over a leaf, or lift up a piece of rotted wood.  Oh yes, I know you're there.  Man, I'm wigging myself out here.

Of course, There are other things I'm scared of, too.  And, no doubt you'll find out about them some time in the future, as it seems I have to share.  Now, take horses, for instance..........

No comments:

Post a Comment