Friday, June 7, 2013

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

On Facebook a couple of days ago I posted how Frankie purchased a liquid dishwasher soap instead of that glass shine stuff that is supposed to get rid of water spots on your glass wear, and plastic containers while in your dishwasher.

So confident was I that I was infusing 'shine stuff' I filled the dishwasher dispenser 'to the gills'.  Run, dishwasher, run, do your magical thing.

Frankie and I watch TV, the hummm of the washer in the background, barely noticeable.  Time ticks by, it is finally time for bed.  I begin my bedtime ritual of making a thorough sweep of the house to make sure lights are off, windows are closed and locked, things have been put away.  (I hate waking up to 'yesterday's work.)

I reach the kitchen, "Noooooooo", there were bubbles inching across the floor.  At first I was fascinated, it was like being at the beach when the ocean rolls in those slow moving, foamy waves.  These bubbles looked just like that.  My brain went into neutral...I could not take my eyes off this phenomenon.  It was creeping, creeping, toward me.  "WAIT A MINUTE", shouted my brain as it went into over-drive.  "THERE'S WATER THERE, TOO.

Uh-oh.

My immediate thought was I had a plumbing problem.  Bubbles, odd, but definitely clean-up-able.  WATER not so much.  Again, it's bed time...damn it. 

I begin to dam up the bubbles with some paper towels.  As I move the towels along, I can hear the bubbles pop in mini-explosions, and begin to disappear.  But the paper towels are reaching the saturation point, and I've still got a long way to go.  I squeeze from them the the excess water, and go back to work.

I was pleased there were more bubbles than water, and I began to suspect, the water was more the result from the dissolving bubbles than a leaking pipe.  Once the bubbles and water had been removed from the floor I was relieved, indeed, there's no trail of water oozing out from under the washer.

I went to bed.

Yesterday, first thing, I was more than pleased there was no water on the kitchen floor. Then I checked the dishwasher to see if there was anyway I could extract that dang liquid soap from the dispenser.  There is not.  How can I get that stuff out of the system...Frankie, comes up with a plan.  "Let's just keep running the empty dishwasher until all the liquid soap has been dispensed." 

Hey, that just might work.

The first run still had bubbles oozing out, but not nearly as bad as the night before.  The second run had even fewer, they still made the paper towels pretty wet, but the mess was contained on them.  The third run, barely wet the towels at all.

However, I did open the door to peek inside during the cycle the 'glass cleaning agent' was being dispensed and there were still a lot of bubbles inside.  I had thought about running the washer again, but decided to wait till this morning, when I could actually wash some dishes; no sense letting all that soap just 'go down the drain'.

I've no idea how many more cycles it is going to take to get rid of all the liquid soap, but I take comfort in the fact we seem to have come up with a solution to the problem.

I think I will close with a few words of advise, mostly meant for Frankie and myself, but you might benefit from them too.  READ THE LABELS...READ THE LABELS.

No comments:

Post a Comment