Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sufferin' Succotash

Yesterday's blog was about a dear little skunk Pepe Le Pew.  A delightful, lovable (although apparently smelly) cartoon character unknown to some of the young generations.

While writing that blog, I closed with a few quips and quotes from of the cartoon character world of my past.  One of which was "Sufferin' Succotash".  For most of yesterday I was asking myself, "Do young people know what Succotash is, and are they wondering why it is (sufferin')?" 

Okay, kiddies, sit a spell, here comes a  history lesson. 

In the traditional sense, Succotash is a vegetable dish of corn and lima beans.

There are a lot of theories about the origin of Succotash.  My research indicates Succotash begins with the discovery of corn as an edible vegetable, and most sources are in agreement that corn originated in the Americas.  It is believed the Colonists, learned of this dish through Eastern Native Americans who prepared a dish called msakwitash meaning 'fragments or boiled corn.'  This dish was quickly adapted as a staple by the Colonists. 

It was an especially popular dish during the Great American Depression, because the ingredients were readily at hand and inexpensive to buy.  In addition, Succotash is also a traditional Thanksgiving Day side dish in the New England section of the nation.

As time progressed, and the country grew, different areas changed Succotash to acquired tastes, and today can be prepared in a wide variety of ways.  Other vegetable were added, zucchini squash appears to be among the most popular.  Although, kidney beans, green string beans, tomatoes, okra, onion, and potatoes appear to be stables as well. Depending on where you live, it can be served as a salad, while in other areas it is considered a soup or casserole. In some places of the country bacon, chicken and beef are also added to this dish, which (in my opinion) makes it a casserole.

I don't remember the first time I ate Succotash.  My mother might have prepared it, but I simply can't recall.  I do like it, but have only eaten the original corn and lima bean rendition.  I think I would like some of the others and if I'm ever in a restaurant where Succotash Salad is on the menu, I will definitely try it. 

So, there you have it.  Succotash is a vegetable side dish and there is absolutely no reason for it to be sufferin' at all.  Although as for the origin of the phrase 'Sufferin' Succotash I did learn the following, as posted on the Internet by Elyse Bruce on July 12, 2010.   "In the mid-1800s, during the Victorian era, there was a rejection of all profanity and so the common people developed a wide variety of malapropisms to avoid swearing on Holy names. Soon, one could hear Cripes and Crikey replace “Christ” and Dangnabit replace “G*d damn it“ and Cheese ‘n’ Rice replace “Jesus Christ.” The phrase Suffering Succotash replaced “Suffering Savior.”"


Guess you can't say you never learn anything from the Ramblings of an Old Woman.

Class dismissed.


No comments:

Post a Comment