Saturday, June 15, 2013

Yep, it's that time of year.

Several days ago I got a package in the mail.

It was from my HMO. 

I immediately recognized it.

Oh...you know the one I'm talking about.  The Fecal Immunochemical Test Kit.

Such fun.  Yep, every year this time the package appears in my mailbox.  Well, except this year, when it actually arrived in my neighbor's mailbox.  How embarrassing.  I'm pretty sure he had no idea what this package was...there are no distinct labels...still, I knew what it was. 

I hate having to do this test.

So, as a result it has been sitting on a shelf in my bathroom, calling to me every morning.  It used to be you had to avoid certain foods for a couple of days before you could use the test, and that was always a good excuse not to, but now there are no restrictions, or excuses not to do the test...except I simply don't want to.

Doing this test is not difficult, or even time consuming, I could be done in a couple of minutes...but I simply find it disgusting, so I put it off.

Frankly, even after I do complete the exam, I find it even more disgusting I have to shove the specimen into a chemical filled cylinder, wrap the vile in a thick paper cover, and shove THAT into a plastic biohazard bag and finally ALL THAT into a pre-addressed envelope where it goes to my HMO's lab.  I've always been amazed the Post Office even allows that.

Anyway, I guess I should simply stop complaining and do the dang test.  I know it's for my own good, and that it's a better and less intrusive alternative than a colonoscopy to find out if I'm developing an intestinal problem.  I need to get a grip.  I'm going to do this test...soon.  I promise.

Anyway, if you ever get a funny looking package in your mail box from your HMO, do not be to surprised if it's a Fecal Immunochemical Test Kit.  Be a man...do you thing...then send that sample back to the lab.  It could save your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment