Thursday, June 6, 2013

It's a small house, really.

Not much to look at, there are no gables or pergolas.  It could do with a paint job.  There are four walls, a pitched roof, sturdy flooring.  The folks who rent the place do some interior decorating, nothing fancy, you understand, but perfect for their needs.

Yesterday I saw a chubby body in the doorway, I could tell the occupants were getting ready to vacate...break the lease...skip town.  It made me sad, because I knew it would be a long time before another occupant would come along.

Yes, for quite some time I watched mom and dad bring furnishings to their humble abode.  Watched even longer as they began spending more time at home than at work.

Finally, I watched as they 'shopped', oh my goodness the groceries they brought in.  Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. 

The kids got rowdy!  Down right noisy!  I couldn't see them...but I knew they were there alright.  Only the snacks the parents brought home seemed to pacify and calm their youthful exuberance. 

Then yesterday, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.  I was standing on my front stoop, and glanced at the tiny house where the chubby body I mentioned before sat in the doorway quizzically staring at me.  I, of course, stared back.  Then I made a hasty retreat to grab my camera realizing this was a wonderful 'photo-op'.  I could catch these folks abandoning the place.

Chick-a-dee, Chick-a-dee-dee-dee. 

Mom and dad were not far away.  I could not see them, but their sound peaked the interest of the chubby creature in the doorway.  I hastily snapped some pictures and retreated to the house.  Soon the parents returned to the overhead wires in my yard, and with encouraging calls the kids began summoning up their courage to flee.

During the afternoon, I happened to catch sight of the last one taking flight.  It landed on one of my bay-window's screens.  One of the parents landed beside it, where they sat for a minute or two, then flew away.  Good bye, little family, good bye.

Come fall I will take the small house down, remove this years nesting material, wash it well and store it in my garage over the winter.  Next spring I will return it to the hook just under the eave of my house and wait for new renters to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment