Sunday, June 9, 2013

Indigo

Several years ago, while visiting The Bishop's Close, a local enclosed garden, we walked by a tiny ground's keeper shed that had a shelf with sad, sickly looking 'starts' from various shrubs and trees on it.  They were all for sale.  It was an "honor system' sale.  A dust covered jar sat in a corner on the shelf, if you wanted a plant you were expected to put the money for it into the jar. 

The plants were very inexpensive, I probably bought a few, and yes, I did put money for them into the dirty jar.  I don't remember what all I bought, and only one of the plants I did purchase has survived.  Though for the first couple of years I doubted that it would. 

The plant that survived is an Indigo.  I bought it mostly because I was intrigued. I knew the Indigo went w-a-y b-a-c-k historically, and was used for dying fabric in India first, I think. 

I had no idea how to care for an Indigo, and by the time I bought it I had lost interest in such matters with a 'Devil may care' attitude about plants.  If it grew great, if it didn't well...tough cookies. Although, I was secretly hoping it would survive, just so I could tell folks I was growing Indigo.

Sadly, the shrub...yes, shrub (I only recently learned this) has always remained sickly.  So this year I moved it to a spot where I could keep a better eye on it (just outside my sliding door).  Now, I have to confess I think one of the reasons I've been having trouble with this plant is because I've been trying to make it into a tree it is about eight feet tall at the moment...poor thing...it should only be about five feet tall, and very, very bushy...

...this year it has finally accepted the fact...I want it to be a tree...and has filled its branches with pretty, delicate, clusters of pink sweet-pea shaped blossoms.  I tell ya, it is beautiful.  Gangly, to be sure, and still not very healthy looking, but, my goodness this year it is really putting on a show. 

So, for those of you who know as little about the Indigo, and who have probably, like me had no idea it was a shrub, not a tree, and that the color indigo comes from this plant...here for your enjoyment and pleasure is a picture.
 
 
 
 
                                                            
Just so you know, from here on out I intend to keep this 'tree' topped, and hopefully I can get it to feel more comfortable in its own skin by returning it to a shrub state.  Wish me luck.  Hang in there Indigo...I'll do my best to do right by you, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment