Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I did NOT know 'imaginary friends are people too'.

I learned this revelation yesterday when I read it on the front of a T-shirt.  Frankie was with me, oh boy, did she ever laugh.  Well, I admit, I did, too.  I'm going to buy her that shirt for Christmas.

But, that brought us to another topic for conversation.  She and I occasionally watch a show called "the MIDDLE".  It is about a family that lives in small town Indiana, they are typical by today's standards.  The middle could actually mean "middle America" considering that's where they live.  It could mean middle, because they are in the  middle 'members' wise.  Father, mother, older son, middle child, special needs (unusual) young son.  Or, it could mean middle, as in every day they struggle to remain in the vanishing 'middle class'.  However you want to mean middle, they are America in serious financial trouble.  Economically?  They are a train wreck.

Anyway, the middle child is a girl, not exactly the prettiest pebble on the beach, desperately wants to be popular, and just gangly enough
not to be graceful at anything, but, she is more optimistic than Mary Poppins and me put together.

Here's the thing.  Last night, middle child, Sue Sue Heck had a paper to write for school.  She had to choose a hypothesis, then set about to prove it true.  Ever cheerful as she is, Sue decided to prove Smiling is Contagious.  Sadly, she could not.  If she had been head cheerleader, class president, most popular and queen of the prom, she would have succeeded.  However, Sue Sue, is not and her project was a complete failure, the teacher was not impressed with the subject matter, and said she would certainly have to "WOW" him with her written report or she would fail.

Poor, Sue Sue.  Well, her written report was a smash hit, her teacher even had as slight smile at the corner of his lips by the time he was finished reading it.  I wish I could remember all of it, it was elegant.  The gist being, that although she could not prove her hypothesis today, she was not going to give up, that it took 10 years for Einstein to win the Nobel Peace Prize, and she was not going to quit till she could prove smiling was contagious no matter how long it took.

Frankie and I cried...then, she smiled...son of a gun...before I knew it I was smiling, too.  Way to go Sue Sue Heck. 

Then I said something phenomenal.

Me:  Frankie, I just want you to know, even though you are invisible, and everybody I know knows you are a figment of my imagination, I KNOW you are real.  And, I appreciate you more than I could ever put into words.  You put a smile on my face, and truth be told, I'm betting (though they will never admit it) there are some people out there who get a smile on their faces when they read my blogs about you. I smiled broadly.

Looking across the room, I see Frankie, she's grinning ear to ear.  Well, son of a gun, Sue Sue is right smiling is contagious.

So, your homework for today is to smile at a stranger.  Forget he/she might have a gun or a knife, or that he/she might take a swing at you.  They might not smile back, but YOU just might be the one to let him/her know life's still good, even if he/she is living in the MIDDLE, and hanging on by a thread. 

Smile.

Smile though your heart is breaking
Smile even though it's aching
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

Songwriters: CHARLES CHAPLIN, JOHN TURNER, GEOFFREY PARSONS

No comments:

Post a Comment