Friday, November 29, 2013

Well, this is just.....sad

I've discovered I'm a workaholic.  No kidding.  Is that sad or what?

I promised Frankie, Zorro and my kitty I would take the day off yesterday.

And, I did, sort of.

I did watch a movie, usually I watch several...and I meant to.  I did watch one that my daughter told me was very good and sent me the DVD.  It's called Idiocracy or, (Id-ee-awrk-ass-ee).  Though it describes the decline of humanity in a joking manner, it also shows in graphic detail it's very, very true...and very, very scary.

But, that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I have a serious problem of my own.  That being, I can't not work. 

So, even though I watched a movie, fixed a feast, and spent some quality time with my circle of family...I could hear my computer whispering to me the whole dang time.

"Come to me.  I need you.  I'm sooo lonely.  Creativity awaits.  Come (cough, cough)
to me, (choke, choke).  I     need     (cough, choke, cough, cough)...."

And, as though it were the siren call of a mermaid, I could not resist. 

I went.  To work.

Oh, I'm not proud of that.  No sir-ee bub.  Not one bit.  But, no amount of left-over turkey, cranberry sauce or pickled beets could lure me away from my keyboard.  My creative juices were flowing like Mt. Olympus.  Stuff was happenin' man. 

It was only when Frankie came into the office did I notice what time it was.  She looked really, really sad.  "Well, I guess I'll go to bed now."

Me:  (barely looking up)  "Okey, dokey, see you in the morning."
Frankie:  "Really?  Really!  This is how we're going to end the day?"

I turn my swivel chair and look at her.  The disappointment on her face overwhelms me.  This is the moment I discovered I've a serious problem.  I AM A WORKAHOLIC.  Don't they say the first step to recovery is to admit the problem?
Okay, I admit it.

So!  I worked about three hours this morning and that's going to have to do.  Frankie and I are going to spend the rest of the day together.  We're going to start by putting the autumn and Thanksgiving decorations away, Then we're going to watch the movies we didn't watch yesterday.  Oh, and we'll make some turkey sandwiches, have some leftover mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and other goodies today, too.  We'll simply fix ourselves a plate when we feel  like it.  Wow, that all sounds good, very good indeed.

"Frankie", I call out from my office, "bring out the toaster, and warm up the coffee.  I'm coming home, I'm coming home."



No comments:

Post a Comment