Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Oh, to soar like an eagle.

It has been some time since I've mentioned the eagles of Decorah, Iowa, simply because they built a new nest last autumn, and this year I was not really able to watch the babies grow.

But, I've not forgotten about them, and check their website on a regular and frequent basis.  One of the babies from the year before, was electrocuted by a power line, which was very sad indeed.  A program has been started to try to build perches on tops of poles giving birds a more safe place to land, rather than the wires themselves.  Of course that takes money and manpower, so I suspect it's going to take a lot of years for that plan to really be effective.

However, eagle D-1, that I did have the opportunity to watch grow and fledge, has a site of her own, so I can check on her comings and goings.  They tagged her with a transmitter and I've watched her travel between her home nest and the wilds of Canada, where she has spent her last two summers. 

She recently arrived back at her home nesting area, and yesterday on facebook I got to get a look at her, up close and personal.  Yes, there she was sitting in what looks like an oak tree.  Her head is turning majestic eagle white and she appears to be a powerful, strong, healthy creature.  Man...it made my heart sing.

I guess what I really want to do is thank the dedicated people who have such a passion for these magnificent creatures, a true symbol of the America I know and love.  The Decorah eagles are part of what is known as the Raptor Resource Project, and there are nests available for viewing for other raptors as well.  I just happened to fall in love with the eagles of Decorah. 

The pair is busily working on the newer nest at the present time, preparing for the mating season which is going to be pretty soon.  The Raptor Resource Project has installed a camera at the new nest, and, if it is going to be like the one at the old nest it should be operational 24/7, so I won't miss much once Mother Decorah is ready to lay her eggs.  What a joy that will be.

Unfortunately, I don't have as much time to watch the eagles as I used to, still, just knowing I can drop in anytime I wish, is good enough for me.  At the old nest, the eagles shared their space with smaller birds, who squatted below that of the eagles, and occasionally a mouse would dash across the nest at night, something I found quite amazing, considering the birds could easily have downed the tiny creature with one gulp. 
~ November 4th, Bob Tracks Down D1 ~

Bob writes:  

This photo is D1 from this morning.  This past Saturday, D1’s transmitter shut off while she was at roost only about a block away from her natal nest in Decorah where she fledged.  The transmitter was due to turn back on around 10:00 this morning.  After a long frustrating morning dealing with project bills, IT issues and other not-so-fun stuff, I grabbed my binoculars and satellite receiver and set off to track her down.  I found her perched in a tree about five miles NE of the original nest tree.  It was raining and I could only snap a few images before wiping off the camera lens.  Even with the poor light and the rain, the attached image shows her antennae and her head gradually changing to white feathers.      ~ Bob

D1 hatched on April 3, 2011, so she is now 2.5 years old, and she should reach full maturity between the ages of four and five, at which time her coloring will be totally changed over to adult plumage.

To follow the travels of D1, you can check the latest map on this link:
http://www.raptorresource.org/maps/latest.php

Please also remember to vote daily for Bob on this link:
http://www.eaglerarelife.com/content/bob-Anderson 

Thanks, everyone, and thanks Bob, for tracking her down, she's a beauty!

~ RR Mod ~

Above is a copy of the picture as shown on my facebook page yesterday.  Thanks to Raptor Resource Project.  D-1 home at last.  Is she the best or what?  And, thanks to  her  mom and dad for being such great parents, and having great success with raising their annual Aeries. 

I will try to post about these grand creatures from time to time, and hope they will bring you as much joy as they do me.

No comments:

Post a Comment