Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Little Things Mean A Lot."

I tend to forget that "Little Things Mean A Lot" in my life.  A facebook friend reminded me of that this morning.  She just came back from vacation, and so appreciates the things she takes for granted in her every day life.

I guess if we were truthful, we would all say the same thing.  Instead we get caught up in 'stuff', missing life in the smallest form.  For instance, I've been looking around for the Shield Bug I brought into the house last month.  I wonder if its still around, or if it decided it likes the outdoors better and has fled. 

The last day we had sunshine, I noticed a long trail of abandoned spider's web hanging from one of the skylights in the morning room.  I meant to grab a broom and sweep it down, but there was 'just something' about the way it floated in the air I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.

Then, there are the remaining autumn leaves.  I try not to 'look' for them, but I can't help myself.  Do you take time to 'look' at them?  What magnificent colors.  Artists try and try to imitate them, but the fact of the matter is, they can come close, but the real thing...well, there is nothing quite like God's yellows, reds and oranges. 

There's the smell of my laundry when I open my dryer door, and the feel of that towel against my cheek, still toasty from it's tumble through the cycle.  Have you ever put on a pair of socks you've just removed from your dryer, oh my, oh my.  Ahhhhh!

Cinnamon toast.  Now, there's a heavenly aroma. 

That first taste of vanilla ice cream.  Or, whatever your favorite flavor is. 

My morning lick from Zorro, that soft, warm tongue.  The weight of CC on my chest that eventually wakes me up.  Such little things, but how I would miss them if they were not there to enjoy.

And I guess I should include my imaginary friend, Frankie.  I can't tell you the joy this mystical character has given me.  I can blame her for just about any and everything.  She's the Yin to my Yang, the slapstick in my comedy, my ear to bend and the laughter in my wind. 

Little things can be seen, hear, touched, felt, and tasted.  Most often they don't cost anything, they are simply sensual expressions that arouse our emotions to remembrances of yesterday, today, and gives us surprises for every tomorrow.  All I ask is that you savor just one little thing today, just one little thing you so frequently take for granted.

Kitty Kallen - Little Things Mean A Lot Lyrics | MetroLyrics


Blow me a kiss from across the room
Say I look nice when I'm not
Touch my hair as you pass my chair
Little things mean a lot
Give me your arm as we cross the street
Call me at six on the dot
A line a day when you're far away
Little things mean a lot
Don't have to buy me diamonds or pearls
Champagne, sables, and such
I never cared much for diamonds and pearls
'cause honestly, honey, they just cost money
Give me a hand when I've lost the way
Give me your shoulder to cry on
Whether the day is bright or gray
Give me your heart to rely on
Send me the warmth of a secret smile
To show me you haven't forgot
For now and forever, that's always and ever
Honey, little things mean a lot

And, that dear friends, is all Kitty and I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment