Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I'm an observer.

Yes, I go into observing mode at the drop of a hat, and have files and files of useless information tucked away in the far, dark, spiderweb area of my brain simply because I can...and do.

This last week I've been observing subtle differences in old, classic television comedy shows compared to those of today.  In particular, how the story line dealt with eating meals.  Shows of the fifties, sixties, and early seventies had families sitting around a table, serving themselves food out of bowls.  True, they never actually ate the food, still, they were in the home, dad was there as well as mom (who cooked the meal), the kids were polite and joined the conversation, it was a relaxing way to wind down and talk about the day's activities and events.

Today, except for one show I can actually mention (The Middle, they eat around their table, but its always food in bags from a 'fast food place'), all the shows have people eating in restaurants, diners, bars and grills.  I think Friends was paramount in not having people eating at tables (except for Thanksgiving, when Monica cooked), as they were frequently found lounging in their favorite coffee shop. 

Then of course, another biggie, was the sleeping arrangements.  In olden days of television, married couples slept in twin beds, and very few scenes actually showed the couples at night actually sleeping.  Generally they would be dressing to go to work, or getting ready for bed.  Eventually, double beds became the norm, although, usually one of the children would enter, and conversation occurred, not sex or sleeping.  The big criteria being the couple had to be married.

However, today, well, I guess I don't really need to go there.

Finally, and to me this observation is the biggest and most obvious.  In olden days the shows had actual, conversations.  Nice, quiet, polite conversation.  There were no swear words, no lewd remarks.  Just, moving the plot along, solving the problem, respectful conversation. 

NOW SHOWS ARE FILLED WITH LOUD, SHOUTING, AND UGLY WORDS.  CHILDREN DISRESPECTING PARENTS, PARENTS ARGUING WITH EACH OTHER, AND MOST OFTEN EACH AND EVERYBODY PUTTING THE OTHER EVERYBODY DOWN.

I guess it's just the signs of the times.  We can't go back, except to visit old time television, and I find I tend to do that more and more.  Just like old music, the words to every song told a story, in a charming, delightful way, old television shows were the same.  I can't believe I'm going to say this, and I'm sure the young folk would like to slap me silly, nonetheless,  "I miss the good old days."

Yes, I've done gone and said it.  "I miss the good old days."

No comments:

Post a Comment