Saturday, November 23, 2013

What I like...

about the cold.

It seems the thing I do best is complain...about the weather.

It's too hot.

It's too wet.

It's too dry.

It's too humid

It's too grey, dark, damp, dreary.

Blah, blah, blah.

I confess, it's been unusually cold and windy here, and yesterday I commented how my house is struggling to keep the inside at a comfortable, stable temperature.  It is not succeeding, but like the little train that thought it could, my little house thinks it can, too.  I've not the heart to tell it that it never would.  It simply was not built for extended cold spells, especially if the East Wind wants to come out to play...which it has.

Anyway, today I'm not going to complain.  I'm going to say only nice things about the weather.

The sun is shining brightly, and when I checked the outside thermometer sitting in its direct path the temperature read a healthy 80 degrees.  The one in the shade out front is registering 40 degrees.  Now, factor in the wind chill, and no matter what the temperature reads...it's cold.  But, it is beautiful and the sun is shining brightly.

There is not a cloud in the sky.  Jet planes are not even leaving contrails.

The air is clean, crisp and cold.  A good deep breath will hurt you lungs, if it were a few degrees colder, and a bit more humid, the hairs inside you nose would freeze up and clog up, too. 

The humidity is almost zilch.  The water that normally runs along the curbs has frozen, and because it's so dry, it is evaporating, and there was no frost overnight, because of the lack of moisture in the air.

The sidewalks, driveways and streets are clear of fallen leaves, and the few leaves that remain on the trees are being stubborn, the yin to the East Wind's yang, they refuse to play the 'let's see which leaf will be the last to fall, I don't care how hard you blow'.

Creeping, crawling creatures are tucked away, at least until it warms up and rains. 

I live in a reasonably warm house, have layers of warm clothes, and a crock pot full of Tortilla Soup.  What more could a Rambling Old Woman ask for?

November seems to be ending in an amazing way, and has filled me with great happiness, and excitement for the month ahead. 

I thought this was going to be hard, I've surprised myself just how easy it was to write good things about the cold.  Cold, does after all, keep ice cream nicely frozen, ice cubes, too. 

Mmmm, A Jim Beam on the rocks sounds like a good cold thing, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment