Thursday, February 21, 2013

Caving in.

Okay, I confess, I caved in and ordered groceries.  I think I could have continued to live without cheese, but I was getting dangerously low on peanut butter, and since I need PB every morning in order to make my bed without interference from Zorro I knew I had to give in and place an order.

Zorro has always associated bed making with play time, and when he first came to live with me sometimes it would take hours for me to complete the bed making task.  I would throw up a blanket, he would nip at it, pull on it and otherwise impede my labors.  I would walk away from the bed try to sneak back later to finish the job, but he always seemed to know and interfere again and again.  I eventually bought a little rubber toy designed to put kibble in, generally used for when a person leaves the house, to help ease a pets separation anxiety.  However, I thought it would be a good toy to keep Zorro busy while I made the bed...he cleared the kibble out before I even got to the bedroom.

What a waste of money.  Then it occurred to me maybe if I put peanut butter inside the toy it would take longer for Zorro to lick it out.  And, that, dear friends, worked like a charm.  Within no time I figured out the exact amount I needed to put in the toy for me to complete my bed making task.

There were a few mornings he brought the toy in to the bedroom and jumped up on the bed, but I immediately took it away from him and made him return to the living room.  Smart little fellow that he is, he quickly learned the peanut butter toy was not meant for the bedroom.

Now, my little guy did suffer from separation anxiety too, and would chew the paint off the front door's frame up as far as his little mouth could reach, so I began to put kibble in the toy any time I left the house for an outing.  It worked pretty well, except the kibble was often gone before I got the door completely locked and the chewing of paint continued.  One day, I decided maybe if I put in kibble, a bit of peanut butter, more kibble and a topping of peanut butter it just might keep Zorro busy long enough to calm down and take a nap until I returned.

Wow, what a relief.  That worked wonders and I've not had a problem of paint chewing since.  However, I've also created a monster because Zorro now knows and expects his peanut butter every morning...and heaven forbid the toy comes up missing and I have to get down on hands and knees to look for it.  (I have to confess I have had to use the top of my baster on a few occasions until I was able to locate the missing toy.)  So, you can see to be without peanut butter could lead to a possible catastrophe, one I am willing to avoid at all cost...in this case approximately two hundred and fifty dollars, which includes not just the groceries but delivery fee, petrol expense as well.

On the plus side, I'm tickled pink I will have my delicious cheddar cheese to devour, and Frankie is beside herself that I have ordered two pudding cakes, cinnamon buns and some blueberry bagels...oh the joy there will be later today when that wonderful delivery truck pulls up to my driveway, and all those goody bags get spread all over my living room floor.

Yummmmm-i-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment