Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Gigantic debate

Okay, so here's the thing.

It is 8:45AM, an overcast day, the temperature hovers around 47 degrees, rain is called for...yadda, yadda, yadda.  What else is new?

I let Zorro out for his first run/sniff around the yard.  I inform Frankie I don't know whether to turn on the heat or open the windows and doors.  The air smells like I think heaven must smell, clean, like air dried sheets, with just a hit of something sweet on the breeze.

Oh, my.  Frankie went into a tizzy. She informs me it is only mid-February, winter, and what in the world am I thinking.

Where as, I remind her we are probably breathing air that entered the house last October or November, whatever the last day was we had the windows and doors open.

She is appalled, shudders at that thought, but is undeterred...this morning we are not going to open the windows and doors.

Ooooh, it got kind of ugly.  I turned on the heat.

A few minutes later, Zorro barked his "I'm done out here, hurry up old lady...I want back in" bark.  I opened the door, let him in, then stood there for a few minutes just breathing...the air was...so, so, so.......I have no word to describe it.  I didn't want to walk away, I didn't want to miss one single second of this magnificent, glorious experience.

One final deep breath, I filled my lungs as full as I could, and held it until I thought I was going to explode.  I had my hand on the handle of the slider, ready to pull it shut.  I couldn't, I really, really couldn't.

Frankie, be-danged, I was not going to shut up the house.  I left the door open, then proceeded to turn off the little electrical stove in the morning room, and opened a window there.

With great purpose, I marched to the living room, turned off the heat, threw open the windows and continued down the hall and into the rooms at the back of the house; throwing wide the windows as I went.  You should have seen the look on Frankie's face...I've got to tell you, that saying is true...'if looks could kill, I would be dead'.

Last time I saw her she was sitting on the sofa, bundled up in her jacket, with a scarf around her neck, mittens on her mug hugging hands.  It was quite a sight.  I've no idea when she will start to speak to me again.

Frankly, Frankie...I don't give a dang...breathe, breathe, breathe...and imagine what this good, fresh air is doing to our lungs, heart, blood, red blood cells.

In other words, get over it...

I win, I win.

1 comment: