Thursday, February 28, 2013

Grrrrr!

I was not sure what to write about today, and then...my phone rang.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been getting a great deal of calls from numbers I do not recognize.  I don't even answer the phone, because my telephone talks as it is ringing and if I don't know the party calling, I simply let the voice mail take the message.

There is never a message left, so I know it is from a solicitor.  This really makes me angry.  I signed on to the NATIONAL NO CALL LIST years ago, and was told at the time this would be an on going choice and over time the calls would stop.  And they did for quite some time...till, as I mentioned, a few weeks ago the calls started again.

So far I've been ignoring them, but it is very frustrating.  So much so, that last week after getting repeated calls from the same number over and over again with ten minutes time I finally picked the phone up but didn't say anything.  After a few seconds a male voice finally said hello. 

In the most angry sounding voice I could muster, I shouted 'STOP CALLING ME' and hung up.  For that evening the calls stopped.  However, the next evening around 7PM another call from this number came again.

I was furious...answered the phone and warned the male caller that if he called again I would report him and his number to the better business bureau, and would go on line, find out who his superiors were, and he and they would be in big trouble.  Of course, I had no idea if I could really do that, but the threat worked and I have not had a call from him since.

However, other nonsense calls continue.  They come as 'toll-free' (four times over the last two weeks along with, V022714465308550, 505-555-1234, 507-540-0459, 602- 753-5617 homecare service, V22021351700196, and V21918272770011966.  Plus calls from Le Sueur, MN, Phoenix, AZ and Marathon, FL.  I don't know anybody living in any of these three places, and I'm pretty sure they don't know me either, otherwise they would have left a message.

I'm starting to think that some very old solicitation lists are making the rounds with my number on them.  Frankly, I'm at my wits end.  Do I try to get back on the no call list?  Does a no call list really exist?  Should I develop a system whereby I buy myself a whistle and blow into the phone as long and loudly as I can?  And, what do I do if the call is a pre-recorded message?  Yeah, what in the world do I do about that? 

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

1 comment:

  1. that's one of the reasons we got rid of our home land line. NOW, they come to our cell phones! I'm Grrrrr'ing with you!

    ReplyDelete