Monday, August 27, 2012

Chapter 2, Selling house

My Realtor is coming again today.  (Insert long pause here.)

So many things are racing through my head this morning.  What is he going to tell me?  What kind of changes am I going to have to accept (even though I may not want to) in order to make the place more sale-able?  I'm sure I'll be told to take down the Rogues Gallery that has been up on the living room wall.  It's been there forever, and has grown and 'tightened up' over the years to accommodate new pictures as babies were born and friends and family from across our great nation have come to visit.  It will be the most strange change of all.  I already know I'm NOT going to like that.

I wish you all could see it.  There are pictures of the girls we hosted when we had adopted daughters through  a Foreign Exchange Program.  My children, and my grand children, unfortunately, the great-grand children have all been framed, simply because I don't want people to get down on their hands and knees to see their pictures.

There are cousins, too, and nieces and nephews as well.  The two young ladies that I used to do day-care for, that still come to see me to play wild games of Canasta have a place there,  too.  Everyone who comes to visit is fascinated by this colorful display of happy, smiling faces.  There is Paul's extended family, and mine, we showed no favorites, for a while I tried to keep everyone as 'family units', but it got to a point that was no longer possible so now it is kind of potpourri, friend here, cousin there, aunt next to a grand-child.

Often I'm asked "Who's this?"  The picture will probably be a far away friend this person may never have the opportunity to meet, but I've always a story to tell about some experience I had with this or that person and we end up in laughter.  How wonderful our brains are triggered to remember the good rather than the bad times.

Sigh.  (Insert long pause here.)

I suppose while my place is on the market this treasure will get tucked under my bed, the only place big enough to conceal it.  I'm sorry everybody, you are all more worthy than my dust-bunny hide-e-hole.  I promise you will be restored to a place of prominence and honor once my feet land where ever that happens to be.

Sigh.  (Another long pause.)

I hope it does not take too long.

1 comment: