Thursday, August 2, 2012

I....I....I....

...I'm seldom rendered wordless, but here's what happened.

A week ago, my next door neighbor, Teresa and I made plans to got to our favorite, off the beaten path, hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in Lake Oswego.  She had a 2-fer coupon.  I was looking forward to it.

So, yesterday I 'dolled' myself up, and come eleven-thirty we take off.  Conversation is light and airy, talking about this and that...you know stuff.

Arriving at El Ranchito, Teresa says, "Table for two, Peterson."

Hmmm.

I thought that was odd, we had never made reservations before, and there were plenty of vacant tables at the front, but the Host, walked us by them and seated us at the very back of the place.  Actually, all the times we've been there I thought this area was part of the kitchen.  We sit.  I look around and we discuss the fact we didn't realize this was part of the seating area.  To my right is a long table to accommodate a group of 8.

Hmmm.

We pa-rouse the menu, they bring us chips and salsa, we talk about the funny names they have for their Margaritas and decide, what the heck, we've a 2-fer and have one each.  I chose blackberry, Teresa chose strawberry.  More delightful conversation.

No one seems in much of a hurry, someone would come check on us, then announce, "Oh, I'll be right back."  And disappear.  What the heck?

Hmmm.

Sometime later, one of the employees (I realize now they were all kind of hovering at length) appeared.  I think I said I was ready to order.  She...is grinning ear to ear.  Then, right behind her I see four faces, very, very familiar faces.  I...I...I...was rendered wordless...they were the faces of my friends and neighbors.

Grinning ear to ear they were delighted they had managed to pull off my birthday celebration in complete secret, I on the other hand gave a quick thought of running out of the place catching a bus and retreating to the sanctuary of my home.  They all know I dislike...no, even hate a fuss over my birthday.  It's like when I'm sick...just leave me alone.  Birthdays mean I'm one year closer to the big donation...and I don't want to think about it, talk about it, and most certainly celebrate it.  How depressing is that?  I've too much left to do and don't want a reminder I might not have enough time.

Somehow I maintained my composure. I think I must give credit to I-Ching, and because I read it first thing every morning, so I was pre-warned something might be up, because it said something to the effect, I should be kind, accepting of things that could happen, and to be gracious and humble.  How the heck does I-Ching do that?  I'm amazed how their messages are 99.9% insightful, and helpful.

I confess the afternoon was a pure delight, and if memory serves it was the first surprise party I've ever had...honestly, I don't remember having another.  There were eight of us in all, and now that my mouth can actually utter words again, I want all of you to know how blessed I am to live with such a wonderful group of women.  Thank you ladies for your kindness and thoughtfulness they are much appreciated.

And, here's a special thanks to Teresa, who not only pulled this off, but got the restaurant to play their part so well.

I had no idea everyone was so good at keeping secrets.

P.S.  On the way home, we saw a deer, it crossed the road right in front of us, beautiful present.  Then, we saw a sign, "Free yellow plums, help yourself"  Teresa turned the car around, we went back, and she climbed the freestanding ladder and picked enough for us to share.  They are a delicious present.

I think I like surprise parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment