Friday, August 10, 2012

"For Pete's sake....

...what's going on here?"

Yes, those were Frankie's first words when she sauntered into the living room.  She found me sitting on the floor surrounded by paper in various sizes, decorations, clutter, and a funny looking little, pink, machine.

She hunkered down and began to pick up fancy rectangles, fluted squares with a bunch of holes in them, and  eight and a half by eleven sheets of paper with a pretty picture frame holes in them.

"Don't you remember," I inquire, "I told you I spent Karen's birthday gift to buy a Spellbinder...this is it, it arrived just a little while ago."

"Oh, yeah, I remember.  Geeze, another toy, where are you going to put it?"  Frankie asked.

Deary me, I had not thought of that.  She has a good point, the office is already packed to the gills. It was bigger than I thought (but what did I expect, it does accommodate a standard sheet of paper)...and I was surprised at how heavy it was, it has to be in order to stay steady as I roll the 'sandwich' through it.  Where was I going to store this?

"I'll worry about that later..."

...I stack together another necessary 'step' to make the machine work 'sandwich' and announce "Watch this."

Slick as a rolling pin, the sandwich rolls through the machine coming out on the other side.  I hastily unmake the 'sandwich', and produce another fancy design. It's curled, swirled, and fancy as all get out.  My mind boggles, I have to learn how to incorporate these beauties into my cards. And, can't wait to get started.

Frankie, on the other hand has lost interest.  I think she pictures herself being moved down the ladder of importance in my life.  She starts to rise.

"Frankie."

I get a disgruntled "Yeah?"

"You want to play with this?"

Her face brightens, and she moves into my spot.  As I left the room she was putting together her first 'sandwich'.  I could tell, she was hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment