Friday, August 17, 2012

Did you ever...

...watch the sun do go down; or the moon come up.  I'm sure we all have and many times to be sure.  But, have you ever watched the morning star disappear?

I have, and I was reminded of that experience this morning as I saw the last star twinkling in the baby blue  sky.  It happened several years ago as I was going through my Henry David Thoreau period.  In which I was going to write a greater nature journal than all of his put together.  Yeah, right.

However, during that time I did discover many intricate natural mysteries in the tiny corner of my wildlife neighborhood.  I studied insects, birds, animals, moss, mushrooms, lichen, wildflowers, weeds and grasses.  One notebook grew into six.  I drew pictures, collected feathers, bird nests, dried flowers and leaves.  As it were, I left no stone un-turned...literally.

So it was one morning, I happened to be outside exploring and I looked to discover a bright star (probably one of the planets...but maybe just a star) and realized I had never thought about the fact there could be a night time feature (except for the moon) visible during the day.  I stood transfixed wondering how it came to  be there so long after daylight.

I also wondered if I could see it disappear and made up my mind I was going to stand guard over this star until it was gone from sight.  Minutes ticked by, I was afraid if I blinked I would miss it, and tried very hard not to.  Soon the star began to show signs of actual twinkling, as though some breeze in the atmosphere had come between me and it.  I sensed it was about to be snuffed out.

Still I watched...waited.

Finally, I knew the sun must be just about to crest the mountain, and when it did, I knew the star would be gone.  I didn't want it to go.  The star began to lose it's sparkle, and there would be a nano-second, when I thought it was gone...only to have it a nano-second in sight.  I like to think an Angel was trying to blow it out, and in an instant she succeeded; the star was gone.  I have fond memories of that morning.  It was cool, the air was clean and refreshing, my dogs were wandering around close by, and I had just experienced a precious miracle.

Some day I hope you get to see the morning star, go to sleep for the day.  Think about it,  just because we don't see them for half the day...they are still there...now, isn't that a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment