Friday, May 25, 2012

Lucky you

Boy, gals and guys, are you ever lucky.  Two blogs in one day.

This one is about a particular gripe I have.  And, it is brought about as a result of the two peanut butter-jelly sandwiches I prepared for lunch.  One for Frankie, one for me.  Oh, and we're having crispy cheese puffs, too.

I was diligently spreading the peanut butter and the jelly all the way to the four edges and corners of the slices of bread and this brought to mind the following:

Restaurant sandwiches and/or toast.  I hate the ones who bring toast, with a tiny, yet bread soaking blob of butter in the middle of it, while the rest of the toast is dry, butter-less, and hard to swallow.  The truth now, don't you hate that too?

Next, I dislike paying seven to ten dollars for a sandwich (for example a bacon/tomato/lettuce) when; first, where is the mayo, or salad dressing?  That's mostly like the butter on toast.  Then, what reaches to all four sides and corners of the sandwich...the L.  Oh yes, their efforts are put into the L. Look at the first half of your sandwich before you take the first bite.  I bet it is build so high you can hardly get it in your mouth...look, see, it is piled high with...the L.  Where is the B and T.  I find most places will accommodate you with two slices of T, in the middle, overlapping each other.  Next, they graciously supply the B.  If you are lucky and the restaurant is kind of classy you will get three slices of B.  However, they are usually thin, and bunched side by side leaving huge empty gaps on either side.  Come on people, slide those sucker to the left or right an add another slice...how much more it the sandwich going to cost me?

I don't think it matters what kind of sandwich you buy, it could even be a burger, it's still mostly going to be lettuce.  Oh, and heaven forbid you should happen to like onion on your sandwich/burger...one ring, and if you are lucky maybe two.  And...you want cheese?  That's always extra, and one slice costs a buck more.  What the heck is up with that?

In my opinion the only sandwich they can't screw up is a grilled cheese...but that appears only in the children's part of the menu, and I've been in some restaurants where a grown-up is not allowed to order from that section.  Bummer.  Plus, try to order a grilled cheese while in the company of other grown-ups...you just might get laughed away from the table.

So it is, I prefer to make my own sandwiches right in my own kitchen.  I guarantee the ketchup, mustard and  dressing will go all around the bread until every part of the crust edge is covered.  Then the innards will be the same, tomatoes, pickles, cheese, meat, and what ever else I choose to put in it will be falling over the edges.  Oh, such a picture, it looks to pretty to eat...I do anyway...such a delicious meal.  Add some chips, and a soda or cup of coffee and I'm in heaven.

Whew, thanks for letting me get this off my chest.  Now, if you'll excuse my I'm going to go finish my PB & J on squishy white bread, and my crispy cheese puffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment