Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Savin' plastic

Here's the thing.

I can't seem to stop saving all those little plastic containers that come along with your pizza orders.  You know what I'm talking about.  The ones with the sauces, and sugar icing for the cinnamon sticks.  Yep, I stick those suckers in the dishwasher, containers AND lids, wash them up, then sticking them into the kitchen cupboard according to size and style.

As you can imagine after all these years, I've got a bunch of every size known to man.  I also have a wide variety of plastic spoon, knives, sporks and forks, too.  When the kids were growing up I literally forced them to save their utensils, I'd wrap them in napkins, throw them into my purse and brought them home.  That is not a joke...just ask my embarrassed children. I did this even if any of their friends were along for any particular reason.  I was a cheap little bugger, still am.  Well, was until yesterday.

Yesterday my granddaughter, and great-grand-kids came to spend the afternoon.  I ordered pizzas, bread-sticks and cinnamon sticks, too. Oh, those delightful little plastic containers; four of them to be exact.  They are just...just...sooo cute.  The good little angel on my right shoulder, was whispering..."Save them, you must save them."


Uh-oh...for the first time, ever, a cute little devil...was sitting on my left shoulder...and she was whispering ..."Really, really, you're going to save them, how the h--l old are you?  And, how many more little plastic containers w/lids are you going to need and/or use before you kick the bucket and don't need nuttin' any more?


Golly, that was really a 'chew-out', what the heck?   Although, She had a good point, you know.

However I took the licking, because I rather enjoyed watching good angel, and little devil duke it out.  After a while, angel's halo was all askew, and devil's pitchfork, was bent as a weird angle, so I figured I had better make a decision before someone drew blood.

And, then...I did something I never, ever though I would do...I rinsed those little plastic containers out...and
threw them in the trash.  I did, I really, truly, did.

Amazingly, I was not struck by lightening, no earth shaking event happened, nor did the finger of fate put a curse on me.  Whew.  Poor, little, good angel was very disappointed in me.  I hope she gets over this in time.  Though it was kind of cute, watching little devil do her little happy dance.

I think I'm at the beginning of a new era...no, I won't be getting rid of all the plastic goodies I've collected so far...Pizza Hut, Wendy's, McDonalds, Arby's, Alaska Airlines and many other fast food places would be extremely hurt, I'm sure if I did.

Now, the question is, should I stop scooping up a handful of those cute little ketchup, mustard, mayo, and extra cheeses packets, too?   Na, to much change at once is not good, I'll work up to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment