Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mugging it up

I bet you all have an interesting group of 'mugs', I do too.  For a while just about every charity I sponsor would send me a new 'mug'.  As a result I have a pretty interesting collection.  Some 'mugs' came with birthday floral arrangements, and some I got as Christmas gifts as well.  I must have about fifteen in all, and I did not pay for a single one.

However, I also remember the world without 'mugs'.  (Yes, folks, I'm that old.)

We used to have sets of china, they had dinner plates, salad plates, (sometimes soup bowls) and cups with matching saucers.  The patterns were always beautiful, maybe pretty pink roses, gold edging, or perhaps a garden scene.  The sets were delicate, and had an air of royalty; especially the cups and saucers.  It was joyful to drink your coffee or tea from them, your pinky finger slightly crooked outward.   I think afternoon tea in England, must continue to be a refined occurrence.

We La La Ladies went to a tea parlor one afternoon, it was such a delightful time. The parlor had a section with clothing you could wear.  We didn't, I can still imagine a mother or father bringing their daughter there, and see her in an elegant hat, with white gloves covering her delicate fingers.  There was a gift counter there, and I bought myself a bracelet, it has ornate silvery looking beads, and tucked in is a tiny Bible charm.

We drank our tea from cups, with matching saucers, had sandwiches, and a delicious dessert as well.  It was all so demure, old fashioned.  Time slowed down.  I think we all deserve an afternoon of slowing down, sipping tea from a beautiful cup with matching saucer; don't you?

We have a formal Chinese Garden here, they have a wonderful little tea garden, I love going there.  In fact, I think it is my favorite place to take people.  However, they serve their tea in their traditional way, in tiny, handle-less cups...so...it's...just not the same as drinking it from a cup that sits in a matching saucer.

I'd like to use my cups and saucers, I really would, but I'm such a klutz, I know I'd have them all broken in a year, month...(let's face it)...a week.  My mom bought me this china after I lost mine in an earthquake, so this set means a great deal to me, as a result, I never use it 'cause I don't want to lose it.  However, if you are even in my neck of the woods, and would like a spot of tea, I would be happy to rinse off the cups...and...
the matching saucers, and have some with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment