Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gues Who



Most of this year has been spent trying to establish my small publishing company.  It has been quite the ride.

 Time consuming, yes.  Mysterious, my goodness, yes.  Terrifying, sometimes, yes.  There are trademarking and copyrighting issues.  Research, money, and putting myself and my reputation right out there on one long, blank, empty__________________________________line.

Whew.

Ever since I registered  my company with the State of Oregon, I've been getting very unusual mail...they make me feel good, cause financial companies are falling all over themselves offering me incentives to switch over to them, some offering a $250.00 deposit in my brand new checking account.  Oh, and Small Company  credit, debit cards...wow.  Funny stuff, how in the world did these people get the idea I have be-jillions of dollars to start my company.  I've barely got the proverbial 'shoe string'.  Trust me, these banks are crazy...my company may not even be around this time next year.  I'm simply running with it, my ideas, my fortitude, my will, and my excitement at being creative every single day.

However, yesterday was the 'top banana' of requests.  I get a call from my cable/Internet/phone company.  It is a young lady, almost as eager as I am every day.  "Hi, I'm so and so, I see you have started a company and I was hoping you might have time to Blah, blah, blah.  Could I set up and appointment with you to have someone come by to talk to you about setting up a business bundle.  We think we can probably save you quite a bit of money."

Bless her heart, she really was sweet, kind and most certainly sincere.

When she stopped talking, I tried to be as honest and sincere as she was.  "Oh, honey,"  I said, "I don't know if my business will still be in operation next month let alone next year.  I'm still feeling my way, and have no idea where I'm going.  I don't think I'm ready to set up a business account at the moment, is there any way I could be put on a list for a call back in, let's say, 6 months?"

"Why, yes," she says, "I can."  And, she takes my name, and says she will call again then.

I'm excited...can you imagine...that in 6 months time I might be established well enough to have and need a business account with my cable/Internet/phone company.  I don't know what  my obligations would be, but what if I could advertise on TV with rates I could afford...wow, that really boggles my mind.

But, I should not put my cart before the horse...like the tortoise...slow and easy will help win my race.  I've always said I'm not doing this for the money, but for the love of the challenge, creativity and the joy of having a reason to jump out of bed and go to work.

So, Mr. Mailman, keep them financial company cards and letters comin'.  You too, United States Post Office, with your grandiose 'company start up' offers.

Even if my company goes 'bust' tomorrow, it is so great to feel wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment