Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankfulness


I was trying to decide what I wanted to be thankful for today, and several things were rattling around loudly in my brain, much like my marble collection.  NO, not the imaginary one in my brain...my actual collection.

Finally I decided to be thankful for birds.  Mostly for Eagles and Turkeys, and I was reminded of the fact there was quite a discussion on what bird should symbolize our national emblem. Seems our government has been embroiled in conflict since its beginning.  The founding fathers finally decided the emblem should be the eagle, and it began to appear on documents.

One gentleman disagreed with this decision, and was outnumbered, so, Benjamin Franklin wrote the following to his daughter in a letter:


(excerpt)
"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.
"With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...
"I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."


There can be no doubt where Mr. Franklin stood on this issue.  

I find I'm a fence sitter on this issue myself.  I consider myself quite the 'birder', but unlike Mr. Franklin I can find good qualities in both birds.


True, both are native to America, especially during the time of the Colonies.  Both were in great quantity.  
However, the Turkey was not only a native, it was very useful due to the fact it was a good supply of protein for the sometimes starving Pilgrims.  I've never heard they used the turkey eggs as a source of food but I imagine that they did.  Also, I think the native Turkey is a beautiful bird, when it puffs out its chest, and fans out its tail feathers it is a sight to behold.  Its feathers must have also been important, being used as pens, and pillows.  Yes, this bird could well have been deserving of the title of national bird.

However, there is also the Eagle.  I've come to know quite a bit about these magnificent creatures thanks to the Raptor Research Project.   I've learned Mr. Franklin was wrong, (sorry, Sir).  They are excellent builders, hard working providers, and the best parents imaginable, ever vigil until they know their fledglings are prepared for life on their own.  In addition they are magnificent to look at, especially up close and personal from the vantage point of a camera situated just above its nest.  And, I admire they have come back from the brink of extinction because mankind polluted their environment with pesticides up to the time in the 1970's when they were finally banned from use.  


You can see my quandary,  I don't want to choose between them.  So, I've decided not to choose and go with both of them


Thank you Turkey, thank you Eagle, you both deserve to be my national emblem, and by golly, for me, you are both going to be.  Here's to you...I proudly lift my coffee mug in honor.  


Thankfulness comes in many colors that fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment